PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I still maintain two of the Yello-Bole Brylon pipes in my collection one is identical to the pipe in sjfine's picture and the other is a bent version of the same pipe. They do get a little hot if not smoked slowly and they are relatively heavy for their size. However, they are tough, smoke fine and look decent. If I am travelling with a pipe, it will most likely be one of these two pipes. They are the least likely to be damaged and, if they are, they are relatively inexpensive to replace. I have no regrets about purchasing either pipe.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Brewshooter and newbroom, You two have me wanting to bring my Medico out of retirement. Do you build up cake in your brylon pipes, or do you keep the bowl whistle-clean?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I now have two Medico Brylon pipes in my collection. If you buy them on ebay for less than five bucks you have yourself a pretty good disposable pipe. You can take it out on your next fishing trip and not worry about leaving it at the bottom of the lake.
My only complaint is that they are pretty heavy compared to briar.
brylon_zps3be98dd4.jpg

brylonebony_zpsf68a00dd.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I now have two Medico Brylon pipes in my collection. If you buy them on ebay for less than five bucks you have yourself a pretty good disposable pipe. You can take it out on your next fishing trip and not worry about leaving it at the bottom of the lake.
My only complaint is that they are pretty heavy compared to briar.
brylon_zps3be98dd4.jpg

brylonebony_zpsf68a00dd.jpg
I have that same panel medico brylon, that was gifted to me by a member. I couldn't get past the terrible stem. Yes it smoked hot, but the stem was like....Play-Doh. stupid stupid stupid. I barely remember how it smoked. Just remember how my teeth sank right into the stupid stem right away,.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I believe Brylon was discontinued in production fairly recently like maybe 2018. After I wrote this original post, I believe I read a history of Brylon that said it was introduced in the 1960's, not the fifties. Online retailers that used to offer them no longer have them in inventory, though perhaps they pop up from time to time. I think Dr. Grabow still sells The Pipe, which is a synthetic but not Brylon, if I have it right.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I have enough pipes, so when I buy a new pipe (besides a MM cob), I like it to be a nicer more finely-made pipe than most of the pipes I've already got... so in other words, no Brylon for me, though it is an interesting curiosity

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
My first pipe was a Yellow-Bole Brylon. I’m thankful that I got a briar not too long afterwards, and also thankful that I had some perseverance in learning to smoke, or I would have just given up after my Brylon experience. It smoked hot, wet, and weighed a ton. Count me among the unimpressed who see Brylon pipes as fit only for the trash or another purpose besides smoking tobacco.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over the years, I've been tempted several times to buy a Brylon pipe as a curiosity, hoping I might have an affinity for them. But my acquisition of a lot of pipes steered me away from buying any that might just end up as clutter. They are not something I'd feel good about donating to active duty service people or veterans in one of our pipe programs. 'calabash, tell us how your Brylon works for you.

Mar 1, 2014
I’d love to get some Brylon if there was actually any place to buy it! (Won’t touch ebay with a 10 foot pole.)
Also, it would probably help to license some shapes from a custom carver.
I think there’s a lot of potential for mimicking super high $$$ pipes with injection molding, someone could probably do a very convincing imitation of a fancy sandblast.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I’d love to get some Brylon if there was actually any place to buy it! (Won’t touch ebay with a 10 foot pole.)
Also, it would probably help to license some shapes from a custom carver.
I think there’s a lot of potential for mimicking super high $$$ pipes with injection molding, someone could probably do a very convincing imitation of a fancy sandblast.
Interesting thought, it could be marketed as an apocalyptic EDC "end of days" pipe to place in your bug out bag! ....hmm now that I think about it, might as well place a tin of Orlick golden slice, in case you get stranded and have to trek home!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Also very useful as a substitute panel pin hammer! Whatever you smoke in the wretched things they just get hot and burn your tongue. Maybe Falcon Pipes will bring out a Brylon bowl and with all that plumbing maybe it would cool down the smoking experience!

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
I bought one 40 years ago, or so. Didn't like it at all as it smoked hot and wet.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Bill Feuerbach of SM Frank told me that the company that used to mold the Brylon stummels informed him that they could no longer supply him so they discontinued them. The Pipe was made and distributed by Venturi, not Dr. Grabow and they were discontinued a long time back.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.