PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Anyone have a Whitehall pipe and how do you like it? I've had Six or eight Whitehall pipes over the years and currently have three. You don't see these very often. I don't think I've seen or heard anything about them on this forum. Pipedia has Whitehall listed as a Ben Wade pipe but I don't think that is accurate. Every one I've seen is stamped imported briar which indicates an American pipe. This my favorite out of three.
Whitehall Washington Park Algerian Briar.
T3WKeswl.jpg

sCIdWkbl.jpg

KjZuRY7l.jpg

ESGOti1l.jpg

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I have a Whitehall Belmont I use it for va flakes and it does the job. Walls are a bit thin but no worries with sips.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I've had many over the year's,this is the only one I have left.Whitehall Jumbos its on the heavy side but smokes quite nice.

I have it behind the first pipe I purchased when I was 18 .A Grabow Gand Duke for size comparison.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The "Who Made That Pipe?" listing shows Whitehall as a Civic/Ben Wade English made product.
I've had a couple. Decent pipes. The pictured examples are very nice. But my interest runs in other directions so I don't follow them.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I have roughly 15 or so unsmoked ones from the 60's. None as nice as that. I will however offer mine up for sale if I remember to post pics of them.
=)

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I was impressed by how well the draw was on the one I picked up. I agree that don't see them often, but seem to be very reasonably priced for what you get.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Whitehall Products was definitely an American tobacco company, originally in Helmetta, NJ. They made cigarettes, snuff and smoking tobacco. They also sold pipes, which are said to have been sourced from England and Italy. Eventually, I think, they merged and moved.
But Whitehall is a world famous name, of course, as the location of most of the important buildings from which the British ruled the Empire. Many pipe manufacturers used the name, including Civic in the thirties and forties, Ben Wade by the late fifties, and Philip Weisberg by the early sixties. All unrelated usages, I suspect, of a common and well known place name. Rather like calling a pipe Wall Street or Fisherman's Wharf; certainly not trademarkable.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I have one, daniel. I purchased it off e-bay for very little. It needs to be cleaned up. I cannot believe it will look as good as yours.

But it is a pot, and I love pots.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I've had three or four now. The only one I have left is a thermo filter. I kind of wish I would have kept this guy now even though I'm not much for straight pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.