PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Being a lover of single malt scotch whisky and small batch premium bourbon whiskeys I like several of the whiskey cured & cased pipe tobaccos that I have tried. I have been keeping Peter Stokkebye's #38 Highland Whiskey and Frog Morton Cellar in my reserve & regular rotation. My favorite single malts are Highlands (Speyside). I'm wondering if there are others here who enjoy the same, and if there are tobaccos I might be missing.
I have tried & enjoyed Peterson's Irish Whiskey and Peter Stokkebye's #2 Whiskey but not enough to cellar any away; at least not yet. I would appreciate the comments of others on these tobaccos.
Some time ago I was given a sample of Sutliff's 511 Black Whiskey and might like to try more but I'm not sure if it is still available. Anyone know if the 511 Black Whiskey is the same as their bulk Black Whiskey? Or Sutliff's Whiskey Cavendish? The 511 Black Whiskey had a Scotch Whisky casing. Has anyone tried any of these three tobaccos and formed opinions?
From various tobacconists I have tried in bulk a toasted whiskey cavendish, an aromatic Irish Creme, and a wine-like cherry cavendish (no cherry anything ever again!) and found the first two to be nothing special and the latter to be something putrid! YMMV.
A forum search showed nothing of significance in the last couple of years. So what's out there that I am missing? From those who like whisky cured or cased tobacco, what would you recommend?

Jan 8, 2013
Hey Johnnyreb, thanks for posting this actually, because you just inadvertently recommended some tobaccos for me! I've personally fallen in love with Rattray's Bagpipers Dream which is cased with cognac. This is truly one of my favorite tobaccos as it seems to burn well (you do want to leave it in the original tin with the plastic lid on it for a few weeks before it gets to that "perfect" point where it's not too dry and not too moist) and the flavor is every bit as good as the aroma. Just a few days back I had a perfect smoke with it in my Hilson Dream pipe. Smoked it down to nothing but ash. This is a tobacco I would recommend to anyone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like Peterson's Irish Whiskey after the tin's been cracked a while and the whiskey recedes a notch. With

flavorings, whether its whiskey, rum, vanilla, walnut or whatever, I like a blend to be tobacco forward, with

the flavoring chiming in unobtrusively. Ref. ae1pt, I do enjoy a little Jameson's now and then, or in Irish

coffee.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Anthony, thanks for the recommendation! Cognac is normally a little out of my range that I drink but I'll add it to my "tobaccos to try list" and keep it in mind.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
ae1pt, I haven't had any of the Jameson Reserves but my Irish Whiskey favorites in order are Green Spot; Red Breast; then Jameson. Are the Reserves sweet like Jameson is?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thank you Brad! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I like Mac Baren tobacco; it's good quality stuff. I'll have some Highland on my next order.
By the way, I know you are an old Cajun and a dog lover. I have a 2 yr old Louisiana Catahoula Leopard. She is the 3rd one I have had; two males & now her. She is a red leopard and looks like the spotted & patch work Roan colored American Paint horse I had as a kid. She is my constant companion, as were the two before her!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Any comments or endorsements on the 3 Sutliff tobaccos mentioned?
For anyone who hasn't tried it I would recommend you try Peter Stokkebye's #38 Highland Whiskey.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I will have to get myself a tin of FMC next time I make an order of baccy. I have yet to try a whiskey flavored tobacco, although I have soaked a humidifier disc in dark rum and added it to a Buttered Rum blend.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
macabra11, don't know what you like to drink or even if you do. FMC has a nice oak flavor like a good aged oak cask whisky like MaCallan's 10 or 12 yr old Oak series single malt scotch. The 18 yr old Oak is even better if you can afford it! It's totally different from anything aged in a sherry filled cask.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
A blend of Virginia, Latakia, and Turkish tobaccos with a hint of Cognac.

0814201301001.JPG

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
You really must try Davidoff Scottish Mixture then. It is a Whisky blend Virginia that tastes just like you're drinking a dram...
Shutterbug

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks Shutterbug! It looks like another good one to try and availability looks pretty good. I've added it to the top third of my list!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Looking into Scottish blends I see Mac Baren has a Scottish Blend Mixture with a rating of 2.9/4.0. Anyone have opinions or make a recommendation on that one? How would it compare to Mac Baren's HH Highland (English blend 2.8/4.0)?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
huntertrw,
Thanks for your endorsement on Sutliff's Dutch Masters Whiskey Cavendish and the link to your review. I tried but failed to find your review on Mixture No. 79, assuming that you wrote one. Before reading thru your review on Dutch Masters Whiskey I got the impression you thought poorly of Sutliff's product and not just Mixture No. 79. If that is incorrect on my part I apologize now. Would their Whiskey Cavendish sold in bulk be the same as the Dutch Masters Series? I assume it might be.
I don't personally recall having any experience with Sutliff tobaccos except for a small sample of 511 Black Whiskey. I would like to try more of their 511. I assume their Black Whiskey sold in bulk is the same thing. I will add their Dutch Masters Whiskey Cavendish to my list. Thanks again!
I like your avatar! I miss the man, his pride of where he come from and his wisdom to look ahead; his subtle humor.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Johnnyreb:
No, I did not review (at least not in print) Sutliff's Mixture No. 79, for had I done so I would have probably been in violation of several statutes concerning obscenity. My response to it was duplicated some years later by my cat, Bob, who has a rather eclectic palate. I was drinking a cup of VERY aromatic hazelnut-flavored coffee, and he was positively convinced that he wanted some. I put two tablespoons-full in a shallow dish, blew on it until it was cool, and then placed it in front of him. He dove into it like he was starved, but after the first gulp he made the worst face that I have ever been privileged to see a cat make. I knew just how he felt!
With this exception I am a fan of Sutliff's pipe-tobaccos, and two of my favorites are Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend and Holiday Excursion, their match of the old House of Edgeworth Holiday Pipe Blend. I do not know if their bulk Whiskey Cavendish is the same as the Dutch Masters Cavendish Smoking Tobacco; however, I am certain that if it is, someone on the Forums here can attest to it.
Since you are a fan of Mr. Foote I urge you, if you haven't already done so, to view C-SPAN's In Depth program interview of him wherein he spent two hours with host Brian Lamb, and answered viewers questions about his life, writing, and the Civil War. Toward the end there was also a brief discussion of his pipe-smoking, and the camera showed a rack containing many of his pipes. Here is a link to it:
In Depth with Shelby Foote - C-SPAN video

Status
Not open for further replies.