Which Tobacco for new Tom Spanu Briar?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

Recent Posts

64alex

May 10, 2016
I am thinking which tobacco to use for the first smoke in my new Tom Spanu pipe.

Of the ones I have I am thinking about:
McClelland Drama Reserve

McClelland 3 Oak Syrian

Peretti Tashkent

Peretti Cuban

McClelland Tudor Castle

McClelland Black Woods Flake

SG FVF

Manil Semois
Which one would you go with?

newbroom

Preferred Member
Jul 11, 2014
Unless you already know that you're going to dedicate this pipe to one genre, I'd break it in with a good non aro burley.

I think you just wanted to show off that Spanu and your cellar, which are both quite nice.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Unless you already know that you're going to dedicate this pipe to one genre, I'd break it in with a good non aro burley.]
In part it is because I have to decide how to dedicate. In part it is to see if any blend could be best in that shape even if I am not a big believer of this rather than probably the more complex the blend the probably more benefit it could have from a large bowl.

Taking this is account it is clearly a no no to aromatic and probably better burley as semois or Virginia. I like a lot also Orientals so I am not sure if Drama or Tashkent is really out of the way. And Cuban mixture while complex it is not too strong and with a mixture of so many leaves which I think it might not be bad as a first one.