PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Sometimes we find a hat, glasses or dress that we like, but when wearing it we find out it doesn't look good with our face or body.

I never choose my pipes caring about it, but I made an experiment "wearing" my pipes front of a mirror and understood that bent biliard is the shape that looks better for my face.

So I ask you: which shape better matches your face?

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
This is a hilarious question. I never would have thought about this in a million years.
I have no idea. My wife normally hounds me about my mismatched outfits, socks that clash, etc. If she catches me standing in front of a mirror posing at different angles with pipes in my mouth to determine the best shape for my face she'll think I'm either crazy or that I found another woman. Lol.
As an experiment I'm going to attend the next event at my cigar shop and pose the question to the group of men who have gathered. I'll attend with a clipboard and pose as a FDA pollster. Any person caught smoking a pipe that doesn't match their cranium gets a $45 citation.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
About 95% of my pipes are too large to clench, so never really thought about it.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
A chubby author matches my face. I have no idea which shape looks best though...

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
For some women there's something sexy about a man smoking a pipe. I'd say the classic shapes are probably the best lures. As for the shape that best suits my face, I'd have to let the ladies decide.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Dont know about fitting the face but my girlfriend say I look very natural smoking a cob, specificity my MM "MIZZOU" bent, she really digs it

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Steve beat me to it. But I still wonder which one pipe is most improved by the nearness to a perfect visage?? Or which pipe, already perfect, is the best complement to a perfect countenance such as the studs'??
For me, I think the Ryan Alden blast author is the best match- makes me look studious and almost intelligent.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I haven't really cared too much beyond reading somewhere in time that big men look better with more fully bent designs, which I took to mean "Hungarians". I'm a large fellow... 6'3" 250lbs, so I have collected more bents than straights. I think they look all right... I DO like how they hang, so to speak. Truth be told, I generally avoid mirrors and all reflections in general... it's too traumatic to my inner 25yo to be continually confronted by the 60yo reality... and no pipe or nuttin helps that!! (Maybe if I got like a steam-punk thang going... with the appropriate JulesVernieMechanoVictorian pipe... but then I've never been cool so would probably look all the more ridiculous!)

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
The largest pipe possible is probably going to be my best bet. Whatever hides my mug is going to be a fan favourite.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There have been articles a brochures on the subject from time to time, helping people choose the pipes best suited for their face and body. This seemed more important, I think, when people smoked quite a bit in public and in work places, so the pipe was seen as an accessory to their wardrobe and general appearance. Now that you have to retire to a cave in North Dakota (or some similarly remote undisclosed location) for a bowl of Captain Black, I'm not sure it makes much difference. I have pipes of many descriptions, so I assume some of them flatter me, such as they can, and others give a comical or off-putting effect. If a guy smokes a mismatched pipe in the remote woods and no one sees him, and there aren't any mirrors, is it ugly? Maybe to a moose.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am so handsome that every pipe looks good on me. See what I mean.
unnamed_zpszjbsgkqx.jpg

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I think this is a good question. Lots of guys don't really care how they look but plenty do. I think that the general rule is to contrast your face shape. If you have a long, lanky face, a beefy bulldog or author might be best. If you have a portly face, a slender pipe could look best. I don't really follow that rule though- I am pretty lanky and my favorite shapes are billiards and Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.