PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I lost my first 'Buttner' a few decades ago, and searched in vain for some years for another. Before finding another genuine 'British Buttner', (with it's leatherette case), that I keep close by and will guard with my...well, let's say that I'd be loath to give up, I came across dozens of clones and Buttner-type reamers. None of those I encountered was made with the care and quality of the original, so, if you can find a true 'British Buttner', keep it safe. It's worth the trouble. It, and a well made flat, 'Dunhill' type tamper/tool, (the quality without the insane 'Dunhill' price), with its tapered pick and proper pipe knife, which works trimming cake to cutting tobacco plugs and rope, are both with me in a vest or trouser watch pocket, or in my pouch, wherever I go.

That said, for home use and refurbishing hard used estates, I'd not give up my 'Pip Net' set, nor my main reamer, an original 'Senior'.

-d-

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
If you think about it and happen to have a genuine British Buttner reamer, it has to do an awful lot of work and that work is done under a lot of pressure for the size of the tool.
Those tiny rivets must come under enormous strain whilst being worked. Though the Chinese might be able to knock out imitations that look the part, I seriously suspect the quality of the metal involved.
Regards,
Jay.

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
continued:

Most are also loose in their adjustment, which makes them a much less accurate tool, and when reaming the cake down to an even dime to quarter's width, adjusting accurately is important. And the quality of the steel is inferior, so the blades don't hold an edge, chip, and sharpen unevenly.

Paying a little more for a quality tool costs less in the long run, helps you do better work, and in this case, lessens the chance of damaging your pipes. However, paying for quality doesn't always mean paying a premium for a name or logo.

Just saying.

-d-

Status
Not open for further replies.