PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Pylorns, that is a beautiful pipe!
I did more reading and researching last night to try and pin point what I would want. What I'd like to know is, what is the difference between the Peterson sizes? 313, 314, 307, etc. I originally assumed that the 317 was the smallest, 314 was a little bigger, 313 was a little bigger, 312 was a litttttle bigger, so on and so forth. Come to find out, I was wrong. I seen some 313's that were bigger than the 314's, on smokingpipes.com, both in length and bowl size. I also seen the opposite, 314's being bigger than 313's. So this makes me ask, what is the difference between them?
I've heard great things about the Lane 1Q tobacco, I've also heard amazing things about the Mississippi River blend from pipesandcigars.com, might need to check both out. The only tobacco I'm familiar with from a few years back is Captain Black, which I don't really remember all that much. I don't see it being talked about much, or recommended to anyone so I'll assume to just stay away. I'd like to find a nice Virginia blend to start with, maybe an aromatic or two, or a smooth English.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
If the true be known, quite a few of us smoke old codger blends along with the others. I happen to like Captain Black White and Royal in my cob pipes sitting by a campfire.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
I remember back about 15 years ago my father would smoke a pipe every so often, and he'd always smoke Captain Black (I believe white). I loved the smell of it when he smoked. Maybe I should buy a small bag or tin of it, and ignore some of the negative things I've heard. There are just so many different tobaccos out there, I don't know where to start!

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
I think I may have had a change in taste...not with Peterson, but the shape. I'm starting to like more of the "bent apple" shapes. Like pylorns darwin B42, and the 302 systems. I think I may prefer the 302 a little more since it's a little smaller. The darwin looks massive, but it might not be as big as I think since I haven't seen it in person.
The purchase is drawing near, I'm getting excited!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I have a 303 System, which is a bent apple, it's the System version of Peterson's 03 shape, which is one of my favorites. I have 6 of the 03 shape alone! The 302, if I'm not mistaken, is the counterpart to the XL02 shape which is actually a fairly large pipe. I have an Aran XL02, it's nearly double the size of my 03's. The XL02 is basically the XL version of the 03.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks everyone for the advice and help! I have a few pipes I'm choosing from still, but will be placing my order by Monday latest. Very excited.
I will post pictures of what I end up getting for any of you who may be interested.
Thanks again!

redstar

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2014
I love my Petersons and have not had any issues with any of the five I've bought over the last two years. My current fave is their billiard System Standard - very small bowl that surprised me when it arrived in the mail but perfect for flakes.

johnnyz

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
I actually spent a little more than I wanted, although I think it'll be worth it and be more of an investment than anything. I decided to get the Peterson Walnut Spigot 999. The pipe looks beautiful, and I have read great things about spigots. I also purchased some tobacco to try out.. Lane 1-Q, Mississippi River, Smooth Sailing, and the "Early Morning Pipe" blend, which I have not heard anything about...it just sounded nice so I got 1 oz to try it out.
It should be here Thursday, I cannot wait to have my first smoke! I will be posting pictures for sure for anyone who is interested. A lot of you helped me and gave me knowledge for my purchase, I couldn't thank you all enough. I am very happy to be a member of this great forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.