PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have only tried the Navy and Virginia Flakes. They were quality, but not my favorite.
My rotation now includes: Royal Yacht, Hyde Park, Cairo, Key Largo, Several McClellend Virginia Flakes, Watch City Slices, Uhle's Crushed White Burley.
I was looking at Mac Baren's Club Blend, Old Dark Fired, Bold Kentucky and Burley Flake.
I like stronger VA / Burley blends. Not a huge fan of grassy, fruity tastes.
Any suggestions?
Thank you, G

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
It might not be strong enough for you, but I find Golden Extra absolutely yummy.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Club blend is interesting. Comes in coins, has a nice kentucky-like taste with a bit of sweet topping. A bit on the mild side, but a nice smoke.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Tango, I would say Old Dark Fired for sure. Also Doblone d'Oro is one of my all time favorite tobaccos and even though it is "Savinelli", it is made by MacBaren. And I'm digging the new HH Burley flake (get at least one tin of this if you like Burley). The new 3 Nuns Green/Yellow I'm still noodling around. I don't have a strong opinion yet, certainly not a love at first site, but time might change my impression.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
HH Pure VA. It won’t replace the McC flakes but I think it’s one of the best readily available straight VA’s on the market. Also Savinelli Doblone D’Oro, which is made by Mac Baren.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
HH Pure VA. It won’t replace the McC flakes but I think it’s one of the best readily available straight VA’s on the market.
I just tried the HH Pure Virginia today and was quite taken to it. I have only smoked a couple of VAs before this and was thinking they might not be for me, until I tried this one.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've found the whole HH line to be exceptional.
Try some Acadian Perique if you get a chance. Contrary to the name, the perique is just one of many players. I get a little sweetness but not so much of the brighter stuff. The Old Dark Fired, Bold Kentucky and Burley Flake are all essentials for me.
If all I had was HH to smoke, I'd get by ok.
jay-roger.jpg

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I’ll offer very strong recommendation to both Club Blend and Old Dark Fired.
Club Blend can be a little spicy fresh; it ages elegantly. Old Dark Fired is terrific right out of the box. (Busted ... I buy it by the big box!) :puffy:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve tried a Mac Baren I didn’t like. Undiscriminating taste, or lots of good tobacco.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Definitely Old Dark Fired. I haven't tried the Bold Kentucky yet, but I will and you prabably should too. Maybe you should give their Navy Flake a try as well. It is burley based, but not dark fired. Has a topping of honey and probably rum, though I don't really get that. Very easy to smoke and a very simple, straightforward blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
HH Burley Flake is definitely a winner. I have to give a nod to both Golden Extra and Mixture (Scottish Blend) as well.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I have bought quite a few tins of Bold Kentucky at P&C this past month and they are all dated from 2015. I assume you know of their HH sale currently.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Based on your listed 'likes', ODF and Bold Kentucky are must tries. I haven't yet tried Burley Flake but look forward to in the near future. With a lot of the MacB blends, you really have to sip the pipe. Wicked tongue burn otherwise. All the HH I've tried are exceptions to this phenomenon. Enjoy!

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Thanks. I ordered some ODF and Club for my first round. Next will be Kentucky and Acadian. I might even try the Golden Extra.
I also ordered C+D Sunset Flake, Wessex Burly Slices and the Green Three Nuns.

Status
Not open for further replies.