Which Historical Character Would You Choose To Share A Bowl With?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My first choice would be Dr. Samuel Johnson who was a great conversationalist, often holding court in the coffee shops of eighteenth century London and entertaining all with his wit and wisdom.
My second choice would be Sir Winston Churchill. A man who had seen the world and had a great understanding of the human psyche.
So which character from history would you like to share a bowl with and why?
Regards,
Jay.

johnsteam86

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2018
I would have to go with C.S. Lewis because he is one of my favorite authors and J.R.R. Tolkien. Since they both frequented the same pub I could pick their brains on how they wrote the way that they did.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Albert Einstein. Pipe legend. AND, he even wore a pink robe around the house when smoking. Such and eccentric genius would be a blast to chat with over a bowl.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
A uniquely interesting one would be smoking a bowl of rum soaked perique with Aleister Crowley. It might be a little too freaky as he was a strange person but interesting for sure. I had to say something different than my first thought of meeting C.S Lewin and J.R.R. Tolkein at the pub for a couple of bowls.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
Great thread Jay....Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would be my first choice, Churchhill my second. I think I would be listening ( and puffing ) much more than talking ...... :puffpipe:
EDIT: MacArthur would be third......

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
First choice would be Jesus, but not sure he'd smoke a pipe. C.S. Lewis would be my second choice as I'm pretty sure he's still a pipe smoker.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
@pipestud I could see Jesus smoking a pipe. He has the perfect pipe smoker personality. And think of the blends that he, if he wanted, could reproduce...water to wine? How about Mixture No. 79 to the original Balkan Sobranie. :worship: Not making light of Jesus in any way here...he's my man for sure.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I like that @civilwar I got to smoke a cigar with my grandfather that is still alive (91) but never got to smoke a pipe with grandfather that passed away. He was my introduction the the pipe. Middletons is what I remember him smoking.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks midwestpipesmoker70. Although my grandfather didn't smoke a pipe, we used to fish together all the time. Now that I am older I'd like to spend an evening with him on my front porch having a drink together, smoking my pipe and talking.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
MacArthur the "old soldier" version and Charles Peterson. Peterson for obvious reasons and the General because I have so many questions to ask the great man.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
This may seem odd, but I would like to share a bowl with George Sand, aka Aurore Dupin. I like strong women characters that led an interesting life. I know she smoked small cigars, so maybe a pipe wouldn't seem out of the question to her. And who knows, maybe Frederic Chopin would show up too... :lol:

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Ernest Hemmingway, to share a bowl during a fishing trip and listen to stories of adventures.
Subcomandante Marcos, as I have always found the Zapatista movement very interesting and would love to discuss politics with him and his long term views on indigenous rights, modernisation etc.. I believe he is still alive, though I guess it won't be easy to light up a bowl with him.
But most of all my great grandfather after which I was named and of whom I inherited my pipes and also made me start pipe smoking, I only know him from stories and pictures.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Before I scrolled down to see his post, I'd joined jguss in wanting to share a smoke with Samuel Clemens, a.k.a. Mark Twain. Other pipe smokers would be interesting, but many would be somewhat distant, whereas Clemens was extra sociable and a performer. If I could surprise him and make him laugh just once, I would consider that a life distinction. Of course, he'd have me amused the whole way.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I know he is not historical, but My Grandfather
I too would like to share a pipe with my Grandfather. I was very young when he passed away, and although I never actually met him, my mother says he was an avid pipe smoker. He was born in the Netherlands, so maybe we could share some Dutch Cavendish and talk about my family history.

Status
Not open for further replies.