PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Just a bit of curiosity, what is your dominant hand and with which hand do you hold your pipe when not clenching?
I am a right handed person but always have my pipe in my left.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
+1. Especially when driving. Being a righty, I do most things with my right hand, so that leaves the left hand for the pipe. On the other hand, (no pun intended), when I was a cigarette smoker, I always smoked with my right hand. Go figure...

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Left-handed, and mainly use the left hand. Right hand is for holding the book/iPad/drink.

Jan 8, 2013
Right hand. I switch it to the left when I tamp though. Sometimes it stays there, sometimes it moves back to the right lol

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Usually the pipe is in my mouth, on a camera bag, in a jacket pocket, or on an ashtray/rest. Otherwise either hand depending on what I am doing at the time. Yes! I have been known to put a lighted pipe in a pocket. Hey, it's usually inadvertently in the heat of the shoot and, I am old.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
A leftie (all the way save for my politics). Am left handed, clench in left side of law, load bowl with left hand and light with left hand.....wooden matches too. However I am a big baseball fan and was raised to be a switch hitter.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am right handed but clench a ton on left side and hold in left hand. It's more comfy and gets smoke out the window faster while driving. :)

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
But I also randomly use both for anything other than.............
:lol:
Interesting mix of answers so far, thanks for the input. The main reason I asked is because when pipes are made to be contoured specifically for one hand, it seems to usually be for the right hand. As a righty who holds in his left, this always seemed a bit off if most of your target audience is right handed... not that lefties don't need some hand specific items as well. It seems no matter which you are shooting for though, it may or may not work given the individual smoker.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Left handed and left side on everything. I can't even use those special left handed scissors. I use normal scissors in my left hand but have to turn them round and cut towards my body. Definitely no running with scissors in our house.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I'm a left handed persom who writes with my left hand, works with my right hand, and holds my pipe with my left hand.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
because when pipes are made to be contoured specifically for one hand, it seems to usually be for the right hand
i have not noticed that as much, i find lots of contoured for the left hand.

Right Handed

Clentch on the left

Hold with the left

Light/Tamp with the right

Status
Not open for further replies.