PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am currently grinding and expressing Costa Rican beans from Peets. One -maybe two-large cappuccino and one espresso or americano each morning. I also buy beans from Sweet Maria's in Oakland and roast 'em in the garage. (Gene roaster, does 8 oz. per batch)
I see Pat mentioned Panamanian- I was floored when I saw a bag in London (UK, not Canada!) priced at the equivalent of over $200 a pound. So I bought some from Peet's online at about $20/lb.. It was good, but I prefer the Costa Rican, along with my Mixture 79 or Penzance!
French press is my next favorite, and I use an Aerobie press when traveling.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My favorite roasters, back in the day, were Torrefazzioni Italia and Batdorf & Bronsen, both in Washington state. I think I remember hearing that TI was bought by Starbucks. I'm not sure what became of Batdorf, but I'll find out after I post this. Prior to opening my shop, I contacted every roaster I could and received more free samples than I could drink in a lifetime. My girlfriend at the time and I tried a bit from each and those two roasters, in our eyes, were the standouts. I suppose were I like Pat I'd love coffee, being involved at every stage of production, but being on the retail end of things turned me off of coffee. Instead of associating it with a fine morning, I associate it with profit/loss statements. It's been a long time since I loved coffee, but perhaps it's time to reintroduce myself to it. If Batdorf is still around I think I'll place an order ;)

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Mmmm coffee, elixer of the gods...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAAOELTLg22

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
If I'm out and about it's Tim Horton's of course...medium with 2 cream. As someone else mentioned McDonald's also brews a good cup of coffee these days. I remember when it was bitter and nasty.
For enjoyment at home I buy from Colonial Coffee, a local roaster here in Windsor. They have several good blends but I always get Cafe' de la Reine, an Arabicas Blend, which is a blend they created for the Queen's visit a few years back. It proved to be quite popular so they still blend it today even years after her visit.
I currently have it ground for me but in the near future I would like to buy a grinder to use just before brewing. :puffy:

Sep 18, 2015
I only started exploring the world of 'good' coffee a couple of years ago so I am still just a 'noob' I use a French press. To me Starbucks is overrated and over roasted, I have also given up on Folgers (Black silk and Gourmet Supreme) these were my go to for years now they are just bland.

Peet's Major Dickens Blend and Sumatra are what I typically start the day with and in the afternoon and evenings I like to try different blends.

Some current fav's are Las Lajas (Costa Rica) Peabody (Brazil) Antigua (Guatemala) and Mandheling (Sumatra)

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
If I'm out and about it's Tim Horton's of course...medium with 2 cream. As someone else mentioned McDonald's also brews a good cup of coffee these days. I remember when it was bitter and nasty.
Haha, I was wondering when timmies would come up :P

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
We had a very fine local business here that had roasting equipment from the late 19th century and active bins in their store that had been in use since I think 1912. After trying all of their roasted-on-premises coffees, we settled on their "100% Colombian - Whole Bean". Then, of course, generally every time I seriously like a product, the business making/carrying it bellies up, which is exactly what happened. We have a wonderful-for-us Wegman's store and got brave one day and bought 3 pounds of their house whole bean 100% Colombian which actually turned out spectacularly better than the small-batch company! Guess which coffee is nearly sold out every grocery day??!!! This has become our daily grind, as in go-to, coffee. Gas stove, stove top percolator. Perfect every time! Every morning. Every day! We were exposed to lovely French pressed coffees at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY) when our daughter was a student there. Nice for a change every now and then, but the perc'ed Colombian is nothing short of salvation and resurrection every work-day morning, and then some. All those days when we drag out of bed on autopilot and aren't generally consciously aware of anything until that first cup of Colombian kicks in... aye, there's the proof of that pudding! As a matter of fact, we get up a half hour earlier than we would need to, just be certain we have that sacred time with that first cuppa-joe unrushed and unharried. PS Just to sympathize, I seem to have a gift for breaking glass kitchen ware.. french presses, percolators, every what-have-you. After tiresomely replacing quite a few, we bought a totally stainless steel Farberware perco from Amazon for like $12. It has been happily in service since... quite a few years now, and I haven't broken it yet! Knock on briar.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Costa Rican, and two blends from our very local roaster are my favorites, plus Major Dickason from Peet's. They get ground in Baratza Preciso espresso grinder, and then popped into a Quickmill Andreja Premium espresso machine. The Major Dickason goes into my partners drip machine. After years, I still can't froth milk the way I want it, though like the fine white ash myth, I do hit it right every now and then.

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, I drink a lot of coffee. mostly filter and moka pot coffee. And each have their favourite blends for me.
  • Starbucks Sumatra dark

Lavazza qualito oro

Starbucks espresso dark roast

Segafredo Intermezzo

mihailo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2016
NW Indiana
Durring the school year my roommate and I almost exclusively drink highlander grog, or kona blends. We have on average 4lbs of beans at the ready, and either an espresso, french press or a harrio v60.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I make my own coffee blend. I see some people claiming this bean or that, but I choose to mix a variety of beans from all over of different types to get the flavor and effect. My coffee starts out a little fruity towards the top of the cup and by the time you get to the bottom, it has progressed to more earthy flavor with a hint of mocha. Drunken with heavy cream of course.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I HATE CHICORY and any coffee containing chicory.

Part of my childhood was spent in Beaumont, Texas and we would always drive by the Seaport Coffee facility there. There is nothing better than the aroma of roasting coffee beans from one of those coffee companies. Unfortunately for me, my parents drinking Seaport Coffee almost scared me away from coffee for life. It was just that bad tasting to me.
My first exposure to whole bean coffee though was going into a supermarket after we moved out of Texas and my mother buying a bag of Eight O'Clock whole beans and grinding them in the store. Eight O'Clock coffee, fresh ground is a vastly superior coffee to Seaport in my opinion. I also grew up around Folgers, Maxwell House and Community. I think my parents normally just bought what was cheap.
I didn't become a full fledged coffee drinker until I was in the Coast Guard though. Of course there was not picking and choosing what coffee we had aboard ship, we got whatever the cooks were allowed to procure for the mess deck. Still, it was a strong, drinkable coffee which I learned to drink black with no sugar. I will say that when they make like 5 gallons of coffee at a time, it is essential that the coffee maker is kept clean. Unfortunately we always suspected that the mess cooks used rags soaked in diesel to get the inside of the pot clean at least once a week.
Currently I do have a Cuisinart burr grinder and a Cusinart coffeemaker. I used to buy whole beans from places like Fresh Market and Whole Foods. But a couple of years ago We reached the point where between my wife and I, there would still be about 6 cups of coffee left in our 12 cup machine so I bought my first Keurig. Tried the brew your own cup thingy but after a while realized it was so much easier to just buy the K-Cups. Right now we are drinking Maxwell House but I have found myself gravitating to the 100% Colombian coffees.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Sorry Pappy!

IMG_20160402_124851021.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I remember the Seaport Smell going thru Beaumont Pappy. You're dead on about the smell. We drank Mellow Joy here in Cajun Country made in a drip pot, cream on top of pot at least 1.5 inches high, for you city boys that's the foam made by the hot water going over the grinds. Then we moved to Brownsville TX where Dad was in charge of about 60 shrimp boats, he fished in one also, coffee there you could see thru the coffee and see btm of cup. Not so good. Then as a Navy man it was black and we didn't have all the fixings so it was black. Used to take a small bag in the field and chew on the grinds. In Civilian life it was Community, fast forward to now, we drink Starbucks Pikes Place in a reg electric maker, like Pappy we have in the Summer left over coffee. But in the winter I drink more. My Pipe and my Coffee go hand in hand, couldn't do without both. PS I HATE CHICORY ALSO!

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
Papua New Guinea Blue Mountain Coffee. Best blend I have ever tasted, from Europe to Asia, America to Australia. Best coffee come from Papua New Guinea IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.