Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I roast my own for most of the year from beans shipped from Sweet Maria's, but in the coldest of the winter I buy roasted from a local shop, ALWAYS within 2 weeks maximum of roast date. My personal preference (of equipment I have) in order from favourite down; Espresso, Syphon, French Press, Moka Pot and soon to have an Ibrik which will fit in there somewhere.
I always say "Drink what you like and like what you drink."
That being said, I prefer wet mud to $-Bux. They must have stolen some of NASCAR's marketing people.
Ravkasef knows what he's talking about, from a post early in this thread:
Fortunately for serious coffee drinkers, there are a number of excellent roasters located in North Anerica who source the best beans, roast them in small quantities, and ship them speedily to customers who insist on having a premium cup of coffee.

Here are a few rules to follow if you want excellence in coffee:

Keep in mind the "Rule of 15"

Coffee should be roasted within 15 months of harvest

Coffee should be consumed within 15 days of roasting.

Coffee should be consumed within 15 minutes of grinding. (Some say 15 seconds :) )

Don't buy at the supermarket.

Purchase your coffee from a small batch roaster. Some, but by no means an exhaustive list: George Howell, Intelligentsia, Detour (for Canadians), Counter Culture. There are literally hundreds--and that's really good news, because it means that coffees are being truly sourced by expert buyers, brought home and roasted and delivered to the customer with the appropriate alacrity and concern for quality. Check out http://www.coffeereview.com for a list of what's hot right now. If you want to sample coffees in small quantities, try http://www.craftcoffee.com. Every month they send out a package containing three samples if some top grade coffees--enough to make 12-15 cups or so, along with a description of the coffee's source, and ordering information if you fall in love with the coffee.

Remember that coffee is a highly volatile, agricultural product, so the coffee that you fall in love with today won't be available in three months – in fact, possibly until the season rolls around another year.

Buy whole beans only!

Corollary to this rule: you will notice that the top roasters do not sell flavored coffees. If you wish to drink a flavored coffee, add the flavoring after you have brewed the cup.

Grind your beans fresh for each cup, grinding only as much as you will drink right now. Don't let brewed coffee sit for hours.

Invest in a good quality burr grinder. (Baratza is a good one, though by no means the only one out there.). I can't over emphasize the importance of having the right kind of grinder, because nothing will spoil a cup of coffee faster than unevenly ground beans.

Use filtered water.

Under no circumstances should you make coffee in a percolator.

Don't buy one of the readily available commercial coffee brewers, such as a Mr. Coffee, etc. They cannot brew a good cup of coffee, and there are certain physical reasons for this. If you do wish to have a brewing machine, buy a Technivorm, although it's somewhat pricey, and somewhat less expensive, the Bonavita.

A French press is inexpensive and will produce a great cup of coffee. So will the Chemex, the Melita, and the Hario V – 60. The Aeropress is also quite good.

Heat your water to 200-205F.

Measure your coffee carefully, I prefer weighing it out by the gram, because coffees have different densities and using a tablespoon is rather imprecise.

Brew your coffee according to your method of choice, sit back and enjoy a truly great cup of coffee.

While all this may seem somewhat complex and complicated, it really isn't and is certainly worth the trouble you go to.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I roast my own beans in a air popcorn popper. I'll drink any coffee but my favorites are:
Cuban Serrano (my roast)

Folgers black silk

8'oclock whole bean Colombian

Hasbeans hazelnut (so natural you cant tell the flavoring is added, sorta)

Grand bend bikers blend

Starbucks whole bean french roast

Coffee Culture dark roast

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We go for the darker, richer blends from two local roasters, but both ship online orders. They are Muddy Dog in Morrisville, N.C., and Larry's Beans in Raleigh, N.C.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Folgers Custom Blend, which is custom made for all people who like to pay $9 for three pounds of coffee.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
My son works in quality control at a coffee importer / commodities broker. He grades, roasts, grinds, and cups the sample beans. He also has a coffee podcast with a buddy where they discuss everything from home brewing to market activity around the world. He also has about 3750 instagram followers for his coffee photography. Week seem to get a pound or two of coffee a week from small batch that wants a review and photo op. You can imagine all the great coffee we have tasted.
My favorites are kenyan karani AA, ethiopian sidama, ethiopian gedeb. I am currently enjoying Blue Copper Columbia, out of Salt Lake City, Utah.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
My son works in quality control at a coffee importer / commodities broker. He grades, roasts, grinds, and cups the sample beans. He also has a coffee podcast with a buddy where they discuss everything from home brewing to market activity around the world. He also has about 3750 instagram followers for his coffee photography. Week seem to get a pound or two of coffee a week from small batch that wants a review and photo op. You can imagine all the great coffee we have tasted.
My favorites are kenyan karani AA, ethiopian sidama, ethiopian gedeb. I am currently enjoying Blue Copper Columbia, out of Salt Lake City, Utah.
I'm a little jelous :)

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've never been able to find Twining's Lapsong Suchong-I've always had to order online to get that variety. Actually just ordered some Russian Country from Harney and Sons today. It's a great black tea blend that features Lapsong Souchong very far forward in the mix. It's like drinking an English blend.

I love Cafe du Monde chicory coffee. French press. Left to my own devices, I won't drink any other coffee.

I also love peated whisky above all other liquids on this planet.

And smoke English blends exclusively.

I really like the taste of smoke.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I'm mostly a tea drinker - Typhoo, PG Tips, Yorkshire, but if I want a coffee my favourite is Gevalia Dark House Blend in my Tassimo with table cream.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Must apologise for butting in again. But I cannot stand for pg tips being mentioned alongside proper decent English tea! Along with suchon duchon volovon all abominations of a decent cuppa, they are the clan/captain black/borkum riffs of our society!

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Hmm... PG tips has great flavour and strength and lots of people like it, I think it's wonderful in the morning. What don't you like about it?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I am indeed as picky in my choice of coffee. It must be black and pack a bit of a kick. Freshly ground is nice but, not a requirement. No sugar, cream or other adulteration usually. Sometime just enough Hazelnut to make me ask, "Is there Hazelnut in this?"

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Swosnuff3r no strength,no flavour! To me anyway, much like pipe tobacco I suppose everyone's taste is different. That & the chimps in the adverts!

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
It's got enough strength to open my eyes in the morning unlike the Tetley and Red Rose that's commonplace here and I get plenty of flavour from it too. I haven't seen any ads for it, I'll have to look some up on youtube.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I roast my own beans in a air popcorn popper
Very cool ... I started there and then got myself the Behmor 1600 which will do just about a pound at a time.
My preference is for the harder, higher altitude beans such as Ethiopian and Kenyan.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I drink espresso exclusively now and it's an experience unto itself. No pipe is envolved. I used to enjoy pressed coffee and would drink Peets Major Dickenson's Blend. Coffee and a pipe does not appeal to me, it's tea or water. Wine or whiskey and a pipe with the missus.

Status
Not open for further replies.