PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Anyone know whatever happened to Bob (python). I used to enjoy his posts a lot. I see that he last posted about 9 months ago.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
There comes a point in all of our lives, when pipesmagazine.com/forums, seems to become a little bit redundant.
One can only reply to threads like "Whats Your Top 5 Flake Tobaccos?", or "Show Us Your Billiard Pipes", so many times.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Very funny 'lost and found' I am always picking up odd pipes so I can always post something of interest. I have noticed that the forum has slowed down a little of recent but then as the weather gets worse its tends to pick up a bit and become a little more lively before slowing down in the spring ahead of summer. What we need is some thought provoking topics to get everyone interested. I think I will go and do my weekly shop at BJ's and think up a few. How about lobster tails. Should they be ready rubbed or flake?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Which brings to mind... where is cigrmaster?

He seems to disappear on a regular basis.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I've been on a bit of a hiatus as well. Mainly due to what Lostandfound said. One can only respond to so many "stranded on an island" threads... I find myself poking in, but not responding to threads because there's not really anything worth commenting on.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
sNnBeDJ.png

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Sadly memebers come and go. Some get bored, some pass on, others get sick of the BS that sometimes gets created around forums. Some come back after awhile. It's always good to take a break after awhile. I personally have been hanging around here since 2010 and just crossed 1000 posts. Others are here for a few months and have that many. I think it is slow and steady or you can get burned out.

Some times its really nice to talk about other things other than pipes (thats why I always enjoy teddys posts. But trying to have fun and create different topics seems as of late to always turn into some sort of arguing match.

But what do I know!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Phil
Harris is having serious health issues and to top it all off, his sister Marla just passed away. She was in her 50's and it was a shock to him and his family.
I try to keep in contact with him as much as possible, just making sure he knows that people are thinking about him and wishing him well.
For those of you who don't remember Harris, he and Peck would have an ongoing banter that was second to none. From severe sarcasm to out right crassness (only in the best way) many people would tune in just to watch them go out each other.
Both men, fine gentlemen in their own right,ready to lend a hand to anyone who would ask.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
How about Fadingdaylight, 12 Pups, Masspiper, Drrock, Spud, Smokeytay, Pipe Novelist ....
Lots of good folks that I don't see around too much these days.
As it has been said, there is much repetition as new members arrive.

It seems many of them do not use the search function, or Google for that matter.
For example, yet another "deserted island" thread is going on ... pick one blend? Pfffft! :crazy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
For those of you who don't remember Harris, he and Peck would have an ongoing banter that was second to none. From severe sarcasm to out right crassness (only in the best way) many people would tune in just to watch them go out each other.
Yep, I remember the somewhat sarcastic banter between them, albeit it was all tongue in cheek.

Sorry to hear about his health issues and the death of his sister.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
There comes a point in all of our lives, when pipesmagazine.com/forums, seems to become a little bit redundant.
One can only reply to threads like "Whats Your Top 5 Flake Tobaccos?", or "Show Us Your Billiard Pipes", so many times.

Good Point. This is how I see it.

People come and they go. IMO the solid magazine content that keeps the board activity steady. 8O

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I may not post every day, but I pop-in frequently to read posts as time allows.

I'm always happy to offer my views -- even if it is a hackneyed topic like desert island blends.

I also enjoy searching the forums so that I can re-direct someone regarding a recurrent issue.
Most of all, I enjoy seeing all the old familiar names and avatars appear in the left hand column;

and I miss the senior members who have passed on (...or away, for that matter!)
The real cement that binds me to the e-zine, however, are my frequent visits to the site sponsors list.
8O Now that I think about it, I can't blow this site until I unload another gross of this junk Official PM merchandise.

Plate.jpg

I also have big bucks tied-up in an inventory of Naked Lawrence Bobblehead Dolls -- if anyone's interested.
pstlpkr.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Since we've veered a bit from the original question I'll add my thoughts as to the forum's health. I log in mostly for the camaraderie. I had been smoking a pipe for many years before stumbling in and had no real questions as to how to smoke a pipe or the care of the tools. I'm willing to learn and have. While I do tire of some of the repetitious threads, every now and then one shows up that just sparkles, sometimes it's even related to pipes and such. Also, I thoroughly enjoy seeing what the craftsmen have whittled up while out in the garage or shop.
Then there are the "haja" type posts. These alone are worth the price of admission and more than make up for the "show us your . . . ", desert island, I miss the old . . . tobacco, and what not.
The supporting dealers and such are very helpful for me as there no longer is a pipe store with-in 2000 miles of my residence.
So, all in all, this is a great place to spend a wee bit of time in.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
In general I think this is a very tolerant bunch.
Yes, much more so than any other forum site I've been on.

Some of them can be downright vicious and nothing more than a free for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.