PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedriv

Lurker
Aug 20, 2018
Sweden
Does anyone know a trusted store that sells genuine real meerschaum pipes? I have found one website but no reviews on trustpilot, can someone vouch for it?. I also live in Sweden so it has to have international shipping.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Does anyone know a trusted store that sells genuine real meerschaum pipes? I have found one website but no reviews on trustpilot, can someone vouch for it?. I also live in Sweden so it has to have international shipping.

Thats a tough question you posed, I have reason to believe the meerschaummarket might be good one,wait for added information,others members will chime in,then again,if and when ordering from outside of EU, be prepared to pay added Customs duties and taxes upon delivery,moreover,just not long ago smokingpipes,eu did add some new quality meerschaums in their portofolio'those vendors do shipping from Irland

f5rd2hy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2017
NV
Got my falcon bowl from ebay seller pipesdepot.

oSAJbF4.jpg

Reactions: UncleRasta

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have thought of Ebay and I know how it works. But how can you know/determine if its actual meerschaum and not some other colored material?
look for known carvers and makes,Altinok,Altinay,Baki,Bekler,Tekin,cao,sms,imp they wont be dealing in anything but block meerschaum.
I have just bought this Altinay from a seller(stadlerweine) on the bay in Germany(I am in Europe so no import duties) and this Aktas as an estate pipe 57105711

Reactions: zedriv and pruss

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea

smokingpipes.eu has some nice meers, different selection than .com. I believe AKB and IMP only sell block meers.

I've ordered from this carver off ebay who works with genuine block meerschaum: MA Birinci (meerschaumschnitzermehmet) . For some reason his store doesn't show up on ebay .com but will on other regional sites if you change the URL or search "1A meerschaum". Has different sizes, 9mm filtered on larger models and ships worldwide.

This carver was recommended for larger pipes here:
The vid is several years old but I just bought a nice meer from him earlier this month.
(I'm not affiliated with anyone. I just had a good experience, especially dealing thru ebay)

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
My only meerschaum is from a guy named Hilmi Cay (pipoogle.com) and his pipe hasn't failed me. Mine cost $89, although most of his pipes are priced higher. He provides free international shipping as far as I know. I live in South Korea.

M

Merton

Smoking Pipes sells only real block meerschaum pipes. You may pay a bit higher price than from a vendor who might be questionable, but you will know what you are getting and SP shipping is great.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

zedriv

Lurker
Aug 20, 2018
Sweden
smokingpipes.eu has some nice meers, different selection than .com. I believe AKB and IMP only sell block meers.

I've ordered from this carver off ebay who works with genuine block meerschaum: MA Birinci (meerschaumschnitzermehmet) . For some reason his store doesn't show up on ebay .com but will on other regional sites if you change the URL or search "1A meerschaum". Has different sizes, 9mm filtered on larger models and ships worldwide.

This carver was recommended for larger pipes here:
The vid is several years old but I just bought a nice meer from him earlier this month.
(I'm not affiliated with anyone. I just had a good experience, especially dealing thru ebay)
Really interesting video, I also checked out that ebay store he talked about

zedriv

Lurker
Aug 20, 2018
Sweden
Smoking Pipes sells only real block meerschaum pipes. You may pay a bit higher price than from a vendor who might be questionable, but you will know what you are getting and SP shipping is great.
Looked really good, thanks!

My only meerschaum is from a guy named Hilmi Cay (pipoogle.com) and his pipe hasn't failed me. Mine cost $89, although most of his pipes are priced higher. He provides free international shipping as far as I know. I live in South Korea.
They had some of the "masters" on that website

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I go to Meerschaum Depot for my meer purchases. I met the owner in person at multiple pipe shows and he has always taken care of me. He deals in well known carvers and carves his own as well. If you go, tell him Nathan Davis, Greywoodie, Crash, or that dude with the beard sent you and he may hook you up. Either way, he has nice pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Origins on Meerschaum strike me as somewhat murky, but I'd trust our sponsor online retailers like SP and PC who care about their customer base. The other source would be a trusted brick-and-mortar pipe shop that is established and that you know. The shop may have higher prices, but it's worth supporting them if you aren't on a tight budget, and you don't have shipping.

Reactions: anotherbob

zedriv

Lurker
Aug 20, 2018
Sweden
I go to Meerschaum Depot for my meer purchases. I met the owner in person at multiple pipe shows and he has always taken care of me. He deals in well known carvers and carves his own as well. If you go, tell him Nathan Davis, Greywoodie, Crash, or that dude with the beard sent you and he may hook you up. Either way, he has nice pipes.
Do you have a url to a webshop?

Origins on Meerschaum strike me as somewhat murky, but I'd trust our sponsor online retailers like SP and PC who care about their customer base. The other source would be a trusted brick-and-mortar pipe shop that is established and that you know. The shop may have higher prices, but it's worth supporting them if you aren't on a tight budget, and you don't have shipping.
Thanks!

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
You have some decent places listed in this thread. I suggest Smoking Pipes and go to the estate page, Turkey. They generally have a decent selection of unsmoked meers. Me? I smoke the doggie do-do out of them. A blurred picture of two in my current rotation. Ignore the "date" as I have no idea how to set it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Echoing myself above, I think buying Meerschaum pipes rewards research, instinct, and experience. People who buy them often and/or over a long period of time, pick up some knowhow, make some mistakes, and somewhat know what they're doing. As a beginner -- my only Meerschaum was given to me by the late great fish'n'banjo -- I'd stick with our sponsor online retailers like SP and PC. They're going to screen out any distinct junk or deception. Or my local independent pipe shop, a little more expensive but worth supporting. The kind of Meerschaum, the kind of stem and shank juncture, the materials and the carving, all require attention. Elaborate carving is a personal decision, but ask yourself if you'll smoke it or mostly admire it ... either of which is okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.