PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kardar2

Lurker
Oct 7, 2015
Hello,

So I watched videos, read some post. Some of you use whiskey rum. Where do you buy grain alcohol? Liquor store? I guess moon shine would work too huh. Thanks

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I could not get Everclear in California as it was illegal, so I ordered some from Wine Chateau. I can buy it here in Missouri. Glad to be out of California.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here in Kentucky, you can get Everclear wherever they sell liquor. If you know the right people, you can also get shine. But why waste good shine cleaning a pipe? :mrgreen:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Sixteen states have made the sale of 190-proof Everclear to the general public illegal, according to Luxco Inc. of St. Louis, Mo., which makes Everclear. Tennessee is among 34 states where it is legally sold.

...In 1935, California's legislature approved a law prohibiting the sale of alcoholic beverages stronger than 120 proof, which is 60-percent alcohol, to the general public. The law still stands."

http://archive.jacksonsun.com/article/20111120/NEWS01/111200340/-s-just-wrong-Officials-question-sale-190-proof-Everclear-retailer-pulls-product-from-shelves
another great Missouri product, like Missouri Meerschaum.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Here in Caifornia, I believe only the less potent version (like 150-160 prrof is available). Everclear has the advantage of, at least it should be, pure grain alcohol, so it shouldn't have any flavor.
I believe B&Ms and online retailers sell specific pipe spirits just for this purpose.
If it were me, I'd use the pipe spirits. If it was a pipe I was mostly going to smoke aros in, I'd use an over-proof rum. The most well-known of these is the Bacardi 151, but there are some others available too that actually taste better so you get better use of the bottle after your pipe maintenance.
Rum and tobacco go way back together. Rum is the most popular liquor in the Americas (aside from maybe Canada and the U.S.), and tobacco is also a heritage plant from the Americas. Us folks from the Americas should be mighty proud!

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Well if you want some good grain alcohol. You should consider going to the Ozarks or the Blue ridge Mountains and talk to one of those boys.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Virginia ABC stores don't carry Everclear so I get it when we go to Missouri to visit the in-laws. Shine, on the other hand, is quite prevalent here in SW Virginia.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Liquor store, I don't know if ABC liquor stores carry it. ABC liquor stores need to be outlawed! SUPPORT LIQOUR STORE CHOICE TODAY!!! :nana:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah, state-run liquor stores are a joke, and it always annoys me when I travel to states that have them. Was in South Carolina last year and a 5th of Wild Turkey 101 was $35. In California, that is a $20 bottle. Same higher prices on most bottles. Plus, I'm a believer that I should be able to buy my liquor, beer, wine, smokes, soda pop, and rolling papers all at the same corner store. Haha

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Oh, and the not allowing sales on Sundays. Who the hell do you these states think they are telling me when I can and can't drink? Maybe I could tolerate church a lot more if I was drunk, actually.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good thing for you this isn't 1915. Blue laws aplenty.
Besides, "they" aren't making you not drink on Sundays; just procuring liquor is prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.