PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geparo

Lurker
Aug 8, 2019
Hi,
I Have been a cigarette smoker for 5 years and now I would like to try pipe smoking. I've read lots articles about that but when it's time to buy it's a big problem because there are too many shops or may be it's better to chose Amazon?
Where is the best place to buy a first pipe? And if you could - describe your choose please, you will help me so much!
Thanks!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Where are you? Have you actual pipe stores near you?
I'd go for an estate (used) briar of medium quality- could be less than $40.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Smokingpipes for sure, they get 85% of my pipe business. As ben88 suggested a cheap corn cob is perfect to start on to see if you like it before investing too much money.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you have good pipe shops near you, that might be a good place to start, to see the pipes firsthand and get a feel for brands and prices. Before you buy a pipe, I'd visit our sponsor online retailers. For a beginner, the aforementioned smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com are a good place to start. When you settle on a price, a brand, and understand the filters and non-filter options, go for your best deal. If you stick with major brands, you'll do okay. I'd start with a new pipe at a moderate price, in a medium size. Estate pipes (used) can be wonderful, but there are more variables in how a pipe has been used. Good luck and maybe tell what you choose.

Reactions: Jef

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Definitely good advice all around. Agree with ben & weez that that cob's not a bad choice. DEFINITELY do not go amazon; waayy too chancy for what you might/might not get.
John's (jpmcwjr) advice is good too.
go for an estate (used) briar of medium quality
A good estate of decent brand (GBD, Savinelli, Comoy, others) is an excellent choice. ABSOLUTELY recommend smokingpipes.com & pipesandcigars.com . Both have good stuff, & SPC in particular has a great search tool for their inventory with a lot of options to help narrow your choice. I've bought lot of stuff from both P&C *&* SPC. Stellar vendors, both of them.
Bill

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
geparo, just to start you out in one good direction, a few brands to look at might include Savinelli, Rossi, Stanwell, Big Ben, Chacom, BC, Genod, Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes, Dr. Grabow (I recommend the Royalton series), Nording, and Peterson. I'd spend some time window shopping to learn about pipes, online and in person if possible.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
+1 on the Missouri Meerschaum recommendation from Ben88. As cheap as they are, you can buy several so you can have a small rotation of pipes to start with. Smoking the same pipe day in and day out can lead to a nasty-tasting smoke.
If you're set on a briar, MSO named some good affordable brands. I'm partial to Savinelli pipes. I've had some poorly drilled pipes by well-known manufacturers that result in a wet and gurgley smoke, but never with a Savinelli. That's just my personal experience, but I've also heard others sing their praises as a well-made relatively inexpensive factory pipe.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
I would suggest looking at www.briarblues.com. Mike Glukler will answer your questions and never lead you astray.
Some of his pipes are a little expensive (relative term), but the quality is worth it. He even advised me not to buy one of the pipes he had for sale because it had a potential burnthrough. I have never been disappointed and almost all my pipes are "estate" pipes. I know there are those who dislike used pipes, but I find they are usually well cared for and require little breaking in. Don't get too wrapped up in the "brand name boogie". It never stops and unless you are one of those folks who must have some designer's name on your britches, it matters very little.

Status
Not open for further replies.