PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
I want to go on an adventure and take my pipe and tin with me.I want to find a comfortable place in public where people will not be offended.I live in California and here smokers are generally avoided and sometimes dispised.I thought about sitting outside of a coffee shop because they have outside seating.I would sit downwind a distance not because I am ashamed just want to stay away from dirty stares of passerbys.I tried the park but was looked down by cyclists and joggers and dogwalkers.I could sit in my car no problem as long as I am at the corner of the parking lot.I really like my pipe and smoking it and would not like to feel ashamed doing it,any suggestions would help.I did try the tobacco shop which is nice it has outdoor seating and it is nice meeting other tobacco enthusiasts,I always end up draining my bank account everytime I go to the smoke shop.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I assume you live in an apartment or condo.
I smoke on my back porch more than anywhere else. There is also an old cemetery out in the country from the 1800's that I go to every now and then and smoke. Many of the graves are the resting places of soldiers from the Civil War, WWI, and WWII.
About the only other place I smoke is on my buddy's bass boat on the lake.
I wouldn't be intimidated at all about smoking in our city park, but then I don't live in Commiefornia. :wink:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I prefer smoking inside. But will smoke outside throughout the day if I'm working on the farm vs working on the computer or somewhere on an assignment.
As for what other people think, don't worry about it. Just smoke your pipe and enjoy it. I do try, however, to smoke an aromatic if I'm somewhere public simple because I want to be a good representative of pipesmoking and leave people with a good impression (these folks vote, and they can vote money out of my pocket in our brave new democracy). I can't speak for California, but in the places/states where I've smoked in public, I typically get compliments. I haven't found the level of antagonism that some folks have for cigarette smokers.

+1 on what Perique says. If I am in the garden or the fields, my pipe is hanging out of my mouth the whole time. At my workbench, I keep my pipe stoked at all times. When in public, like the ma and pa restaurants I'll fire up an aromatic, at least a lightly aromatic Virginia or something considerate of others. At the B&M here, I'll smoke whatever is being passed around the lounge, unless its something I don't like. At friends' houses, I just take Molto Dolce; it makes the husbands jealous at all of the cooing it brings on from the girls. :wink:

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I don't generally agree with Perique regarding not worrying about smoking with other around who might have a negative attitude towards pipes. I think it is our responsibility to educate the public that smoking a pipe is an entirely different animal than cigarette smoking and should be respected as what it is: a time honored practice that serves those partaking with calming pleasure that actually smells quite pleasant. I take every opportunity to do that. That being said, I do agree with Perique that California is not the rest of the country and attitudes are sometimes a bit different than say where I live, Virginia...

mcluvinmypipe

Lurker
May 8, 2014
Sad to say California is an anti smoking state with a serious agenda to ban smoking of any kind.There are actually some towns that prohibit smoking in public places at all outside or indoors.Town councils pass bills without a public vote,bills are passed right under our noses.

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Sadly, California is one of the most beautiful states in the country. It has everything from the majestic mountains of Yosemite, the sandy deserts in the south, beautiful beaches, rocky northern coastline, dense pine forests....and yet I wouldn't live there if I was given a mansion there. Great place to visit, but I couldn't stomach all of their liberal laws.
If this post came off as a slap to you Californians, I didn't intend to be insulting. I love the geography of the state, their laws are just way too restrictive for me.

Mar 31, 2014
I'm out here in California, too. Hell, I even get dirty looks smoking a pipe out front on the porch. Seriously, everyone that passes by has to shoot me a glare, no matter how many times they walk passed.
UCLA banned smoking last year, which I have mixed feelings about. Now I can nap on the grass without getting a headache from all of those cigarettes, but the complete lack of smoking havens on campus is unfair and that is CA for you. I mean, you can't even smoke on the edge of campus where no one else is around, huddled in a corner by a dumpster...and I don't think that really benefits anyone but the school's anti-tobacco agenda. Here's a little video about it for anyone interested: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Educational-Smoking-Ban-Takes-Effect-at-UCLA-204137941.html
I will go out for a walk while smoking my pipe every once in a while. It keeps personal contact with those who have an issue with smoke to a brief pass by. And the dog gets her exercise. But, unless you can find a nice dirt trail to stroll on, walking in SoCal isn't too pleasant. If you're in the north you might have some luck parking at a trailhead and walking down a 1/4 mile.

Mar 31, 2014
Oh, and no offense here, Ranger. My husband and I spend two months out of every year backpacking in the Sierras (a few weeks here, a weekend there) to get away from all the people and cement. Those two months are what keep us going throughout the rest of the year. Mountains to remember, mountains to look forward to. Can't wait until we can move north. Maybe somewhere with castle law...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The back porch most of the time for me, and outside the building at my work. Most times I'm outside those spots, I have my children around and I won't smoke in front of them. Sometimes at night though, I will take my pipe on my bike ride and find a secluded area of beauty and sip as I enjoy mother nature.
I lived in San Diego for quite some time and it is no slight to point out Cali's law problem. One could commit quite a bit of serious crime in public unnoticed, much more easily than smoking in a banned area.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Front farmer's porch in the morning and back screened porch during the rest of the day in the warmer months. Garage (with a bay partly open) in the cold weather. On the rare occasion I smoke in public, I smoke an aromatic.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
The front porch or the back deck, and out walking the dogs in the hood.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Back Deck, Garage, Office in my house, McDonalds/Starbucks Patio with a Coffee, Most streams and Rivers while out washing flies. Pretty much anywhere it is not illegal to smoke.
I am courteous or at least try my best to be. I do not crowd doorways or entrances, will not smoke if the patio is crowded with families eating.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I smoke on my back porch if it's sunny, my front porch if it's raining (it's covered). When I am at work, I will take my car to a spot along the hiking path and smoke in my car, usually watching something on my iPod.
I rarely smoke in public since I don't like the staring I get - but I still do occasionally and more than once, I've been complimented on the aroma.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Like others I generally smoke in my backyard and don't concern myself with public perception. I've never had any negativity while on campus or at the bar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My main smoking station is my study where all my pipes and tobaccos are. I enjoy smoking on the porch, which is

too far from the street to invite any consternation. I smoke my pipe walking around the loop of our street, about

two miles, and no one has ever commented. I run into dog walkers, occasional families with kids, and random folks

out for their constitutional. I live in a major tobacco state, although the industry has faded in the last thirty years;

however people still have a certain respect for tobacco farming and the history. I think pipe smoking is the least

railed against here, but you don't see it much in public. Restaurants and bars, indoor or outdoor seating, is pretty

much off limits, as are public parks, city or state, retail shops, malls, schools, etc. etc. I've had the temerity to smoke

at an outdoor party with a lot of academics and young folks, and no one mentioned it. My local independent pipe

shop offers a smoking table where several pipe or cigar smokers often gather, but the local chain Tinder Box is in the

mall where smoking is prohibited.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
On the back patio, in my car while driving somewhere, while fishing, at the local and non-local B&M's, and anywhere else I can. :D

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Luckly I do smoke in back yard which has bench and table with nice scenery.

Nice hot coffee on the table,sometime bird visit,reading book,watch passing people...

Only from spring to autumn but happy smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.