PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
The P&C site lists all new Brighams as made in Canada.
But SPC says that all new Brighams are made in Italy or France.
Then strangely SPC list 100% of their Brigham estates as made in Canada.
This confuses me. When did they stop being made in Canada? Or did they?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Most or all the production moved to Italy some years back. Roughly corresponds to the change from an aluminum tube/tenon to a space-age plastic, and the new production lines (voyageur etc) I believe.
Some were still made here for awhile, the year pipes, special edition stuff. But essentially Brigham has no defined market share in the handmade segment, and the "drugstore" quality pipes you have to get done in Italy these days to make any money on them (ask Stanwell!).

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I believe the Voyageur (1 dot), Algonquin (2 dot), and Mountaineer (3 dot) lines are made in Italy.

The Chinook, Heritage, Klondike and Acadian lines are made in France.
It's still a Canadian company, as far as I know, which might be why P&C lists Brighams as "Canadian" made.

The Brighams with the aluminum tenon would be truly Canadian made, as Sasquatch says. Pre mid-1990s?
I think you're wrong about ALL the estate Brighams on SPC being listed as Canadian, though. Most of them probably are Canadian made, but they list their Italian Brighams here: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/italy/index.cfm?tag=237.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
Ah... I see. Most of the Brigham estates are listed under miscellaneous rather than Italian. I'm still not sure if they are really made in Canada.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are probably some other Canadian made pipes these days, but the only make that comes to mind are Blatter and Blatter from Montreal.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Yaddy is right in his reference. And if my memory serves me right, Brigham moved manufacturing out of Canada around 2009.
A couple of years ago, my local B&M found some old Canadian Made Brigham's in the back of the shop. Best of all, no filter system, which is impossible to find with the new stock.
Also, the rock maple inserts are 100% Canadian made :laughat:

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There are lots of Canadian made pipes - West to East, you have Stephen Downie in Victoria, I am in central Alberta, Cody Perkins and Ian Barnes up in Edmonton, Evan Wiseman in Regina I think, Mike Parks in Toronto and I think Gio Placentile has quit.... There aren't too many "big brands" being made here for sure, but there's a bunch of us carving regularly.

joshuaburgess

Lurker
Jun 30, 2014
Guys,
I just wanted to help clarify a bit about how we handle estate Brighams at Smokingpipes (and this really can apply to other factories that produce pipes in various countries too). Most Brigham pipes will be stamped "France," "Italy," or "Canada." In those cases, we put the pipe into an estate category based on country of manufacture (France in French Estates, Italy in Italian Estates, and Canada in Misc Estates). Where it can sometimes get a little tricky is when the pipe doesn't have a country of manufacture stamp at all. When we come across a Brigham like that, we put the pipe in Misc Estates since the company itself is Canadian.
Hope that helps a bit.
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.