PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
In terms of quality, I mean. IMHO Dunhills are still thriving regardless of the polarizing views upon them, and I am curious how and when they got the NV to justify today's prices.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Dunhill was introduced as a premium or ultra-premium brand. Alfred intentionally marketed the pipes as top-of-the-line in both quality and price point, his mandate to his makers was basically perfect pipes, and his promise to his customers was similar. His own words in the "About Smoke" catalog's afterword were something to the effect of "the average man pays five shillings for a pipe and then wonders why it isn't any good. We charge ten times that, and make the best pipe available.." (paraphrasing, I don't have the book in front of me). Dunhill knew from his custom leather work that a "certain class of people" to use his words, would always pay for the best stuff. And his pipes were, I think, inarguably better than anything on the market at that point (1920s, say). Other brands managed to make pipes every bit as good - Sasieni, Barling etc. But Dunhill pipes have hardly changed at all, mechanically or in the finishing (save that shells are, we think, no longer oil cured). Very consistent over 100 years, and that's worth something too. I have but the one now, a little '42 shell, and it is indeed an excellent pipe.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
"And his pipes were, I think, inarguably better than anything on the market at that point (1920s, say)"... Yet, I have heard many say that the Kaywoodies of the time were better pipes than Dunhill and in the company of Barling's, etc. So many arguments regarding this subject.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
"Quality" isn't a singular, objective thing though. Briar quality? Stem quality? Smoking characteristics? Finish? I have a 1938 kaywoodie and it's a very decent pipe, more than decent, the shaping is spot on and everything about it is quality. But I hate stinger pipes and I think my 42 shell smokes circles around the KW. Hard to pinpoint "quality". At some point, the nicer kaywoodies retailed for the same price as dunhills, 5 or 10 dollars if I remember the ad copy correctly. But also at some point kaywoodie fell off for quality, became a much more mass produced (and priced) "drugstore pipe".

Reactions: aquadoc

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The answer is that people generally purchased new pipes, until the advent of a market for "estate pipes" which is documented within the pipe community (I'm unclear of the date). Buyers began scouring secondary markets and absorbing what was to be had in the domestic (USA) market and eventually the UK market. Dunhill wasn't the only name in the business but it was one that the new estate pipe collectors sought. Before that time Dunhill was certainly a name of quality in the pipe world but at that point it became something else: collectible.

Reactions: UncleRasta

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
“Price is what you pay.
Value is what you get.

Warren Edward Buffett, Mr. Buffett attributes this advice to his mentor Ben Graham.

Many find that value is in the details and for longer than any other pipe manufacturer Dunhill has arguably been very successful and consistent at paying attention to the details.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’ve heard 60s and 80s are good decades for Dunhill, a generalization of course. The two I have from the 60s are definitely better than the 70 and 73 ones I have. I also have a 1928, but have not smoked it. My fave is my 67 bruyere 104, but even that smokes no better than your average Savinelli.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dunhill collectors like to point out the period from 1958 to 1968 as a very good period for the marque. No doubt they made a very good pipe, but better than anyone else? Not in my experience. It also depends on what works best for you. I smoked Dunhills for years, but when I smoked my first Barling I enjoyed the experience and the flavors much more. The Dunhills, with the exception of two, went in the drawer. Barlings make up the largest portion of my collection. And frankly, my Comoys and Leeds era Ben Wades smoke as well as anything else I own.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Dunhill collectors like to point out the period from 1958 to 1968 as a very good period for the marque
Interesting how tastes differ. I am not a Dunhill collector but I have had 5 or 6 dozen over time and my personal favorites have always been from the mid thirties to early Fifties, particularly the oil cured shells. Despite the obvious differences the general feel, size and smoking characteristics of these early Dunhill shells are very similar to my pre trans Barling fossils, for me at least. Perhaps this is because I have culled pipes with a set of characteristics from each marquee and assembled a collection that suits my particular tastes. That said, several of my best smokers include an inexpensive Savinelle Capri and a lower end Comoy Rover.

Last edited:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've had (and still have) Dunhills from the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's, early OO's and The White Spot. In that 10-12 pipe group, I can't say any era smokes better than another. The new White Spot had (2014) a better stem/button than a same era Castello (unless you like really chunky buttons).

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.