PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
For me, it's a 1960 (my birth year) Dunhill bent bulldog. (Not the tall one; the classic shape.)
This shape: Dunhill bent bulldog
Finish not important, but blast would be the uber-whale.
What's yours?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Fattywhale.png

hunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2012
Canada
Basically your Moby Dick, the one that you get close to but never able to get your hands on. I currently don't have one but I do have one for a bar, I've nearly been able to get a globe bar a few times but never able to seal the deal.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
A "White Whale" (reference Moby Dick by Herman Melville) is someone's obsession with something that can only be achieved at the cost of their own life, downfall, or destruction.

:puffy:

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Ah, I figured it was a Moby Dick Reference... but I have never encountered it put that way haha. Thanks for the info guys! :D

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
One of the pipes from MMs worlds fair display I just cant seem to find a pic of the exact one right now.

piperphil

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
My white whale would have to be this cavalier-volcano with antler from creative briar

http://www.creativebriarpipes.com/available-pipes/pipe-12015/

Love volcanoes and cavaliers and contrasts so this is like a wet dream for me.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My white whale pipe would have to be a collection actually. The Peterson Return of Sherlock Holmes set. I'm wanting to buy the entire set all at once with the pipe rack, but I can't seem to save up the money for it.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
I would have to say one of Yanik's large meerschaum skull in hand...

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I haven't been a pipe smoker long enough to have a true white whale... but at the moment, it would be very much like this one here posted recently by dochudson:
shl5108.jpg

It's a Dunhill Shell Group 4... around $400

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
The Howell Clam in cast bronze sandblast. Love on first sight and most beautiful piece I've ever seen.
howellclam.jpg

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Nifty responses, fellows.
Keep them coming.
I'd submit that to be a "white whale," the pipe must not only be finest quality or expensive or even your perfect person taste, but also in some way difficult to obtain: such as a very particular estate like I've defined, or a war era Dunhill (see Neill's nifty post: A Wartime Treasure), or any Poul Ilsted pipe (as I understand he'll only sell you a pipe if he likes you).

Status
Not open for further replies.