What's Your Unicorn Blend That Isn't a Unicorn Blend?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
We're all familiar with unicorn blends: Stonehaven, Penzance, Balkan Sobranie, Escudo (sometimes), etc. People chase them and they go from in stock to out of stock in mere minutes.
But which of your favorite blends that are available right now from dozens of sources any day of the year would you hunt down if they were ultra rare? You just have to have them.
For me it's Solani Silver Flake. I can buy it any time from most vendors. If it suddenly became ultra rare I'd have to hunt it down. To me it's the butterscotch brother to Stonehaven's molasses.
So if you WOULD hunt something down, what would it be?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Right now I'm really loving 3 Oaks Syrian and have ordered extra since it will die as a blend in the next few years. The bad thing is it's not a blend to age in my cellar since what I love is the Syrian latakia taste that will just fade with age. So smoke it now and enjoy it at it's peak.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Let's just say that, when I get below 12 tins of Escudo, I start cleaning the Glock and leave it at that.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would start getting nervous, edgy, if Savinelli Doblone D'oro suddenly became all the rage.
There are blends that were hard to get for a while, like F&T's Cut Virginia Plug; but I guess folks just got tired of hunting for them, and stocks stopped disappearing off the shelves on day-one. Rotary and Sir John's Flake (Aylesbury) come to mind.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
But which of your favorite blends that are available right now from dozens of sources any day of the year would you hunt down if they were ultra rare?
It would be hard to separate any of my favorites, and I would be much aggrieved if they disappeared, but probably not hunt them down. Having done that with equipment, there is a point at which return becomes minimal compared to the disruption. But I would certainly grumble about it on the internet!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
That's kind of like the Desert Island question, but with a nice twist to it.

Yup - different from the desert island question. To me, a desert island blend is that one blend that if there were no other you'd pick it as your all day every day smoke. Here, the nuance I'm getting at is what are the tobaccos you really love and would hunt to find, even if you wouldn't want them all day every day. Perhaps not even every day at all. But when you've got the hankering.......you've just gotta have it.
I like the comments so far.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I have a feeling it's going to be Yeti Flake #5 by Cup o Joes. I haven't tried it yet but have some tins aging, and the reviews of it are top notch. For something I've tried I would say St. James woods by McClellend's.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Haunted Bookshop.
And Union Square -- not so much because it's good (it's fantastic), but because there's nothing else like it, that I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.