PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have enjoyed Walnut, but these days it's not something you can find easily.
I am not, thankfully, in a position where I have to worry about smoking OTCs to get by. There's always plenty of good stuff on hand. :puffy:

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I keep a pouch of CBW in my jacket inside pocket now. Smells great :D
I like the way it tastes, but would desire something with a little more body to it. Thinking of adding some Granger to it to see if that helps. I wish all these OTC blends were actually OTC. The only ones I can find are CBW and Super Value (which I don't really intend to try).

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Carter Hall. I also very much like Walnut but it is so rarely, if ever, seen on the shelves of a drug store or convenience mart that I'm not sure it counts as an OTC anymore?

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Ran out as the snow started just one last time, grabbed a Carter Hall, on my third bowl and you gents just may be right! On my third bowl and it's nothing like I remember. Thanks all!

Dan

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
JRcigar sells Walnut, hate to bring them up because they aren't a contibutor of Kevins retirement account.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
If I HAD to buy an OTC because I needed to stay out of my cellar, I'd go burley: CH or H&H. I am choking down a pouch of CBW every now and then because I bought it after not having smoked CBs for 6 months ... not the same anymore, lol.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Prince Albert in the Red Can.
Captain Black of any color pouch except red.
Paladin Black Cherry, the very best cherry flavored Burley.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'm still upset that Sugar Barrel has been discontinued - I got my hands on a tub just after the announcement, and have stashed it in Mason jars for future consumption. I've fallen back to Prince Albert as a current (and currently available) favorite OTC.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I absolutely cannot smoke straight burley. I've tried CH, SWR, H&H, PA and I just can't do it. I like burley in a blend, but I can't smoke it straight. Too nutty and one dimensional. My go to OTC if I needed it would be CBW. Just leave the pouch open for awhile to dry it up and it smokes better than usual.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@phred. Damn right! I'm still upset about Sugar Barrel as well! I've got about half a tub left, but I wasn't able to grab anymore before it was all gone.

I really hope they decide to bring it back some day, along with Walnut.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
<p>CH would be my OTC bug out bag choice simply because (a) I like it well enough and (b) I can walk 6 blocks to get a tub if I see hard times coming. In fact, it's been a while so I'll go get a tub to put away and maybe a pouch for a warm day change of pace. Thanks for this thread, got me motivated to get back to my pipe smoking roots so to speak.

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I bought 50g of St Bruno the other night from the local supermarket. I now really resent wasting that £12.

Allow me to make the most predictable comment ever: It tastes of scented soap, nothing else.

What more can be said about it?
A few months ago I was walking through town when a man offered me a free sample of what appeared to be a luxury sweet from outside what appeared to be a luxury sweet shop. Luckily I was a few yards further down the road before I unwrapped it and bit into it...and my mouth started foaming up with what had turned out to be luxury soap (I never said I wasn't an idiot). I couldn't get rid of the taste for hours.

This is the exact same experience as the one I had trying to smoke St Bruno yesterday.
I am not going near any otc again. At least not in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.