What's Your Favorite Pipe Smoking Movie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Ever find yourself watching some movie, and in walks someone smoking a pipe. Suddenly you find yourself likeing this movie just alittle more. So what would be a movie you love were pipers are present?

My answer is "The Golden Boys" Made in 2008 w/ David Carradine, Bruce Dern, Rip Torn, Meriel Hemingway about three old ship captains. Very light on plot, but nice and calming movie

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The Wolfman for me. It was an all-time fav of mine growing up. Recently I let my daughters watch a bit of it and noticed that there were several scenes with pipe smokers. A classic.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The River Why, it has pipe smoking, fly fishing and Amber Heard sans clothing, what more could you ask for? My second choice would be Longitude, it is about the first reliable sea clocks, which allowed for navigation at sea. In the film, Jeremy Irons smokes a pipe throughout, as he portrays Rupert Gould, the brilliant man who restored the sea clocks to working order. If you're a fan of Horology or simply a history buff, it really is a wonderful film.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
My vote goes to Longitude. It was an A&E original movie back when non-premium cable stations made decent programs, instead of reality television. I own the movie on DVD. The moment I found it available it was on its way. Irons was great, but Michael Gambon stole the show in my opinion.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
The LOTR "trilogy" are simply some of the most amazing movies that Hollywood has ever come up with, next to The Godfather and Jaws of course.
I loved Kevin Costner's pipe-smoking portrayal of Devil Anse Hatfield in the Hatfield and McCoy series from History. Just fantastic.
Also - Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Every time I see that little curly-haired boy puffing on that pipe I laugh and smile a bit.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
This Is Spinal Tap.
spinal_tap2.jpg

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
I am not sure what my favorite is, but I just saw Men of Honor again. Robert De Niro has that Cob going most of the movie.

okrent

Might Stick Around
Mar 12, 2013
Can you think of film where a pipe was more than just set dressing? Not necessarily a plot devise, but at least a pipe with some significance? Again, Inglourious Basterds is the only film that comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.