What's Your Favorite Pipe Smoking Movie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Can you think of film where a pipe was more than just set dressing? Not necessarily a plot devise, but at least a pipe with some significance?
I saw this a couple of weeks ago. The first scene of the movie E.G. Robinson smashes his shank. He smokes the repaired pipe throughout the entire film. it's actually a pretty damn good flick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu8-V9JRX_g

recoilrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2011
Can't beat "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", the pipe smoking is not contrived, it was part of the lifestyle.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
It's not a movie, and it's a cartoon, but I'm still going to throw it out there:
The Venture Bros. - they have a Mr. Fantastic style elastic man named Dr. Impossible that manages to make pipe sm depking look pretty classy and super-hero-ish despite a few mental breakdowns (not due to the pipe).

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm with Okrent. Inglorious Bastards.
That scene is one of the few parts I enjoyed about the movie.
Although I thought Ian McKellen did a nice job portraying a man literally lost in his thoughts while smoking during the first LoTR. The scene in the Mines of Moria.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
To be honest with you, The Hobbit and the LOTR books is what GOT ME interested in pipes in the first place, so those movies are without a doubt my choice.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Absolutely Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes, can't remember which film it was (or if it was one of the episodes) but the way he delivered the line "It is quite a three pipe problem Watson, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes." just seemed incredibly cool when I saw it. Although fifty minutes for 3 bowls is pretty brisk...

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
My vote is for "Mr. Blandings". My all-time favorite classic film. Love the actors, the era, the story, the style and, of course, the PIPES! Melvyn Douglas is smoking his pipe in virtually every scene, from first to last. I just gotta fire up the briar whenever I watch this movie, usually with SWR or PA. Two tobaccos of the period.
BlandingsPhoto-2.jpg

BlandingsPics006_edited-1.jpg

BlandingsPics004.jpg

Favorite quote:
"The name's Cole, Bill Cole, friend of the family, just came in out of the rain".
CACooper

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
MHZ has been running the French mystery series Maigret in which the title character is always smoking or at least carrying his pipe as he deftly solves the murder. Worth watching even though it has subtitles.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/7731110/mr_blandings_builds_his_dream_house_1948/
Wonderful, thanks for the hint :)
Closets Mr Simms, plenty of closets! If there is one thing this family needs it's plenty of closests! *looks at his wife*

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
Any Sherlock Holmes movie with Basil Rathbone aside, it would be MEN OF HONOR. Master Chief Sunday constantly smoking one of MacArthur's pipes...priceless!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Not counting Mr Blanding (which I like a lot) I'd say at the moment the new "Hobbit".

pjhicks

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
Another vote for "Mr. Blanding"! One of my favorite movies of all time. Three great actors and fine comedic timing! Anyone who liked "The Money Pit" will appreciate it.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Quiet Man is my favorite, but no one has mentioned For a few dollars more so I'll give it a nod as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.