What's your favorite maker or pipe brand?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Who is your favorite maker or brand? For me it is hard. I love Chris Askwith pipes yet I love my Ferndowns made by Les Leslie Wood. I have more Ferndowns and many more planned. I love the history and tradition of Ferndowns yet I love the new approach and style of Askwith. Beck if I had a whole lot more money I would have more Ferndowns, Askwith, and Ashton pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My list is long and would include Ser Jacopo (1), Ferndown (1), Johs (maybe 5), Petes (about 8) and Savs about ten, and various French pipes (Chacom, BC, Genod, Vuillard).

If I had to name just one, it would be my home-state carver the somewhat evanescent Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., who only sells at the state fair in October and the TAPS pipe show in April. His pipes are solid, unpretentious, sometimes a little whimsical, and pieces of real folk (not folksy) art, in briar and Mountain Laurel. I think I have six of his, and may buy a seventh next month. (If an emoticon appears in here, it's an error...tried to correct.)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bruce Weaver and Preben Holm here. Bruce's sandblasts are gorgeous, and love how Preben followed the grain to create some one of a kind masterpieces. With my ever growing Weaver collection, five with number six on the way, I find myself reaching for his pipes more than any of my collection.

Jan 8, 2013
I keep finding myself drawn to Nording and Peterson, and those are the two brands I own the most of and look for most often. I guess when I decide I like something, I latch onto it.

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
Brigham. It's a Canadian company, although they stopped making pipes in Canada around 1980.
In short I'm interested in the company's history and Canadian roots.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I've narrowed it to Rinaldo and Castello, trying to pick between those two is impossible.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
This is a long list for me too but if my hand was forced I would say I like Walt Cannoy's work especially the suede finish and what he has done with meerschaum.
For a factory I would go with Ser Jacopo.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I have an old Dunhill billiard estate that looks like a panel of wood flooring, but smokes like a dream. I love that pipe.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Michael Parks, Kent Rasmussen, Il Duca, and Dunhill are the pipes I've been reduced to. And not a common thread between them. Weird.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
If you go by the representation in my racks, you'd say Peterson. And I do love them. Quality at a price point and they appeal to me culturally.
But if I had a favorite, as in: "the pipe I want the most" I'd say Dunhill, Comoy or Rad Davis. [I know, an odd juxtaposition. The common thread is that I love traditional shapes -- really to the exclusion of anything vaguely freehand -- so that's Dunhill and Comoy. But I do also like a pipemaker with a "take" on a traditional shape -- hence Davis.]

Status
Not open for further replies.