PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Hahaha @mrgunnar177 I am at University of MN Duluth and you kind of have to party just to stay warm by the big lake.

J. Mayo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2012
Texas
Miller Lite is always my go-to beer but being so close to Mexico I've developed a love for both Pacifico and Negro Modelo. Guinness would be a very close favorite with those as well.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
My 2 favorites...
Erdinger-bottle-glass_RMO.jpg

coorslight.jpg

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Don't really drink beer that often, but when I do it's either one of the Chimay's or Newcastle.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I would definitely choose one of the many great German dunkles weizens as my favourite, but getting your hands on that is really difficult. My favourite readily available beer is Guinness (and, Mick, Murphy's sucks; Beamish for life :P).

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
When I drink beer it is usually St Austell Tribute. I live in St Austell ( Cornwall UK ) and the brewery is just down the road,very handy
Tom

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
When I used to drink beer, think of the darkest, stoutest, thickest beer you can imagine (served warm) -- and that was right up my alley. I grew up in a family with firm ties to their European roots. To them, American beer was less-than-or-equal-to horse piss.
You grow up with what you know.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
It's even worse when all the brands you like are $15-16 or in the case of single serves $4-5 each. Plus the variety (or lack thereof) is astoundingly poor... lol
At least I don't truly live "up north" where alcohol is unavailable and a gallon of milk costs $16 or more. (two 2L anyway) It can always be worse!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
when I do it's either one of the Chimay
Ah.. Chimay..one of the seven remaining Trappist beers. Of which six are in ... you guessed it.. Belgium ;-)
If you like Chimay, try to find a Rochefort 10 (blue cap) next time. The 8 is pretty nice as well, but the 10 just has a little bit more punch to it. Chimay is the largest Trappist brewery of the seven in volume, and I personally feel it shows somewhat in their quality.
774px-Rochefort-beers.jpg

If I were to rank them, in order of preference I'd go:

* Westvleteren: Widely recognized as the best beer in the world. But nearly impossible to find States-side.

* Orval: The only Trappist beer that actually uses a yeast strain containing Brettanomyces and using a dry hopping method during the three weeks of maturation. Leading to a very nice hoppy afterfinish with a bit of a sour gueuze taste. Not for the faint of heart, but oh so good.

* Rochefort 10

* Westmalle Dubbel

* Achel Extra 9.5, brown. Only available in large bottles though. but who cares ;-)

* La Trappe. The one trappist brewery not located in Belgium. But their quadrupel is heavenly.

* Chimay. As mentioned, I think they've lost some of their quality due to their sheer size. But still a beer to be enjoyed. I won't turn it down if offered
But hey.. like what you drink, drink what you like ;-) I think I end up paying around $4 for an Orval here in Texas as well :-(

zirbengeist

Lurker
Aug 22, 2012
Currently I am enjoying Atomic Smash Bomb IPA from flying monkeys brewery in Barrie Ontario.
I am also a fan of rogue state brewery in Oregon, but their beers are expensive in Ontario due to the LCBO

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I wish we could get Orval or any of the Trappists around here. Price isn't as big a concern for me as availability is. I'd love to be in America for the access to craft beer alone...
I really enjoyed the Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van de Keizer I had a couple months ago, and I am saving a bottle of Pannepot for a rainy day... I love the richness of the quadrupels and other strong dark Belgian ales I've had.
Some day I will personally pick up beer from de Struise and Westvleteren! Though the beer cafes and the lambic destinations are my true desire...

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
You guys are nuts. I can't choose just one.
I won't. Goes against everything I believe in!
Pyramid's Apricot Ale is a delicious unfiltered wheat ale. :wink:
http://www.pyramidbrew.com/our-brews/apricot

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
Yuengling Lager is probably what I have most often but I still like to try out micro brews and can still appreciate a can of PBR.

keith40

Lurker
Apr 25, 2011
A few differnet ones come to mind, but right now it swings between Leffe and Carling Black Label. Found a corner market with a lot of retro beer from schaffer to schlitz.

pens87

Lurker
Jul 24, 2010
Harpoon Celtic Ale when it's in season. I'm in the Sam Adams camp for other seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.