PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
I have three Yello Boles and think hay are Great. Why are they considered 2nd rate pipes by KayWoodie?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
the quality of the briar is a bit lower. They were originally a Kaywoodie second to use the blocks that didn't make the cut for the high classed pipes .

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I find nothing wrong with any pipes personally. I've been puffing on a lowly mm cob for a few weeks since I lost a savinelli years back & just bought a grabow. My view is enjoy the pipe you have. Like cowboy boots seconds are deemed flawed by the manufacturer's standards not mine. The pipe was made to enjoy. Cheers to your yello-boles.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
teamhavoc28 makes an excellent point about "who" considers "what" a second. Think about it.
I've always wondered if, for example, Dunhill sends Hardcastle their cast-off blocks,

or if Hardcastle sends the cream of the crop on to the Dunhill shop. I can imagine a

manager at Hardcastle evaluating a block, and reasoning: "this would make a fine pipe,

but we could never get $500 for it with the Hardcastle name on it."

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I only have one Yellow Bole, but I like it a lot and smoke it regularly. But then, I also enjoy my Dr Grabows just as much as my Petersons. There isn't anything wrong with any pipe that you enjoy smoking.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Like many things, there sometimes is no real difference between the higher priced pipe and that which you can get for a fraction of the cost. The enjoyment is what matters most.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Yello Boles make fine pipes . I think they get a bad rap for some of the quirkier things they have tried over the years . Nylon stems , the filter , perforated steel in the heal of the bowl . Over time I have given all mine away as starter pipes , not that they were bad , just found better looking smokers along the way .

patiobum

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
I have 3 Yellow Bole pipes from my pipe schmoking days as a beginner. They were bought to use at work but still schmoke well.
I use them and cobs in the yard and doing woodworking in the garage. I've dropped them all one time or another and they have never cracked or snapped. The nylon bit is good for the teeth while working.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
Cortez:
I've always wondered if, for example, Dunhill sends Hardcastle their cast-off blocks, or if Hardcastle sends the cream of the crop on to the Dunhill shop.
Not at all. All the Dunhill Manager does is chuck the block from one end of the workshop to the other to the Hardcastle Manager! If it goes the other way, the block is wrapped and walked over, cautiously.
Parker-Hardcastle Ltd. 32, St. Andrews Rd, London E17 6BQ, call +44 (0)20 84984000

Alfred Dunhill Ltd. 32, St. Andrews Rd, London E17 6BQ, call +44 (0)20 84984000

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Where are all these five-year-old threads coming from? I've been on Forums for years and never seen the like of it. So, what's wrong with Yello-Boles? It's a great old brand. What is wrong with them is an over-concentration on their Brylon pipes, which however well they may sell, are not well respected in the pipe smoking community (or if they are, please refer me to this cohort of Brylon-loving pipe smokers). And secondly, what is wrong with Yello-Boles is their under-production and under-distribution of their briar pipes. Their Checker briar pipes and other briar models are good serviceable pipes, but when you find them offered new, they sell fast and then disappear seemingly forever. So in short, Yello-Bole is struggling, and relying too much on Brylon pipes, which are not especially good smokers, in my opinion.

Reactions: telescopes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you click on Yello-Bole and all you see are Brylon pipes, something is wrong with the brand, long associated with briar pipes, in my opinion.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a Yello Bole Spartan Bent imported briar from the 1970s. It was my grandfather's and I was given it after his funeral in 1978. I still pull it out and smoke it occasionally.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Hi

I like the older, 4-digit number pipes, they smoke great and have comfortable stems for the most part. I usually remove the crazy stinger/filter.

They also made some nice sandblasts -- here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.