PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Im a new pipe smoker. My wife gave me a Czech made briar pipe for an aniversory present last month. When I removed the stem from the shank there was a small metal bit that fell out. Im not sure what this thing is and why I need it. One friend told me to toss it. Another said it must be there for a reason, but a google search came up with nothing. My only gripe is that it prevents a pipecleaner from reaching the bowl without first removing the little piece. Any help would be awesome.

smokinggun

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2011
If it is what I think it is, it's for moisture and in my opinion you should just toss it.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Pics always help, your description makes it sound as though it may be as smokinggun mentions, a condenser.

Generally referred to as a stinger they are intended to prevent ash from moving through the stem or as a place for moisture to collect from the airstream.
If in fact this is what you have there, try a few bowls with and without the stinger. Judge for yourself which delivers the better smoke for ya.

While most pipes I have that came with one smoke fine with or without em', I've a couple of Grabows that smoke better with the stinger in place.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
The metal 'thing' is there to have a cooling effect on the smoke traveling from your bowl to your lips. Most pipesmokers toss it immediately, some think it's a wonderful invention. Just try with and without and decide for yourself.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Personally i dont like them, and if they just come out like your saying yours does, I toss it. If I have to cut, break, bend, or snap it off, I usually keep it, for historical accuracy I guess. Not sure why I cant bring myself to just cut them off. Either way, if I just can take it off or out, in the garbage it goes...

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Well that tells me alot. I have smoked this pipe with and without the stingerin it and all in all I couldnt tell a huge differance. Im leaning towards tossing it out as I want to be able to use a pipe cleaner when the need comes up. Thanks for the input.

sirsmokesalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2012
North Carolina
If you decide to leave it in, It's a must you clean the pipe after it cools.

These things trap moisture and left unattended can ruin your pipe fast.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
needpics1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.