PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Sniffin a tin of Captain Earle's Private Stock. Trying to name the things it makes me think of and what it smells like.

It's a Lat blend and those are always peat smokey smelling, and so is this, but there's more than that. What is it?

What else am I reminded of here?

Ya, ya...campfires, but what ELSE is there...it's SOMEthing!

I think of mushrooms...I guess they're a natural step away from peat...and then I think of what it is I THINK I smell that rounds this out and provides it an olfactory umami. Yeast. I smell yeast.

There was a little more than a year on the tin.
p.s. maybe you have a similar eureka moment?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
There's a lot going on in Captain Earle's Private Stock. Ive not smoked it but see its a mixture of Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental, Perique, Turkish, and Virginia. I'm still not able to distinguish Oriental and Turkish that well.
Every once in a while a Lat blend gives me that perfume taste. Its not in the smell so much but jumps out at me during first light and thru the full burn. It will subside often if I don't put it down. Pirate Kake is one that would just not let go of that perfume taste for me. I traded it off! I have come up with my own mixture that lights well, burns consistently and tastes wonderful. In fact Id have to say its the best Lat smoke I do. I call it "Hawke's Arabian Fire". Hahaha The nic content is about medium I suppose. Dunhill Nightcap does well, but delivers a tongue bite some. McClelland No. 2020 Matured Cake is pretty good to me. Aged its Virginia's really sweeten and step forward and the lat while there is less pronounced.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I get that perfume smell and taste sometimes. Especially from HH Latakia Flake. Sometimes I get the sensation of motor oil and diesel on the back of my tongue when smelling a lat tin.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I'm half-way through a tin of Captain Earle's Stimulus Package. I have no special insight on how to describe the tin note but I know that it is wonderful. For me it really matches the taste and the room note very well. Great stuff!!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Yea Chasingembers, Ive smoked the HH Latakia Flake a while back, its a lat bomb as I remember and I liked it. A couple months ago though I got into Va/Pers and pure Va's. Since then seems I'm so much a Lat Bomb kinda guy. I even like the light colored straight Virginias that I used to despise. They seemed bland. Not now. Maybe a little more rounded in my preference these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.