PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a huge fan of pipe nails and horseshoe nails for tamper-scoopers for simplicity of design. Sometimes it's good to repurpose other objects for this use. Golf tees are a classic, with the round end as the tamper and the pointed end for pick and scooping. Wooden is good, not plastic. Of course there are various nails and bolts that can be used. Is there anything else that works? I think these have to be non-toxic items, where materials are known, so I'm not sure I'd use a spark plug or other item that might have materials you don't want in your mouth (through being on tobacco that is then smoked). Car parts? Small tools? Any ideas?

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I've used bolts, screws, nails, a piece of steel rod, a marker, a .410 shotgun shell, 5.56, 30.06, .45lc, .454 casull, a leather punch, a screwdriver handle, pencil, chapstick, knitting needle (don't you dare tell my wife, I'll be murdered).

Sometimes you just need to tamp and can't immediately locate the proper tamper, especially in the shop.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Used Diamond Dremel bits:
50pc-lots-Diamond-burr-set-glass-Dremel-rotary-bit-ceramic-tile-lapidary-120-Grit-freeshipping.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. The square clothespin is the ideal tamper, it's jaws are cut on a 45 degree so you don't flatten the cherry of the burn. The top can be squeezed to make it fit a bigger pipe, and it doubles as a pipe rest. Cajuns are Frugal.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I have an antique pestal that I use from time to time. It has a nice wieght to it and fits most of my pipes well. I've also used the odd nail when I misplaced my tamper in the garage. I love my pipe nail though and will grab it almost 100% of the time over my other tampers and tools.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
A finger most often... usually easy to find as well.
Couldn't agree more. One of the most magnificent tools God endowed us with.

Well, aside from our brains and common sense, but hopefully He is still working out the wrinkles on that issue.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I've been joining spent casings together and polishing them up. A 30/30 shell fits perfectly inside of a 45/70 casing. Doesn't help with a pick, but the different size heads work great for different size pipes.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015

Nipple wrench for a black powder revolver. I've used a musket wrench as well which is similar but a bit larger.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm with bonehed I have quit a few different ones, but no matter how hard I try to remember to grab one I end up forgetting them when out an about. The finger. You develop a good callus over time.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I really like those bullet tampers! However, in northern Europe we have quite a different view on guns so I'll probably never find one at home. I use my Czech tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.