PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I don't look at TV much and can see why. Anyone really like the shows that's on now days or am I missing something?

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Most stuff on Network Tv sucks, but AMC, Showcase and HBO are doing some good stuff, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Homeland, Royal Pains and Strike Back

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
Nope. Every time I go to a friend of family member's house I am reminded why I don't pay for TV. Most of it is the lowest form of trash I could imagine.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I just listen to the radio most of the time.To much garbage on the tube to suit me..

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
My only escape from housewives of......where ever, is when my little guy gets to watching Phineas and ferb... but Football season is just around the corner.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I find on cable, there are shows like never seen before on television, a real break from the network crap shoved down our throats since the 70's. Examples:

1. Breaking Bad, on AMC is one of the best television shows I've ever seen (ranks up next to "The Wire" in my book).

2. Mad Men is very well written and I enjoy every episode

3. Hell on Wheels is probably the best western I've seen on television

(All these are on AMC...)

4. Southland on TNT is one of the best cop shows I've seen in a long time (close to "Homicide" quality).

5. Battlestar Galactica on SyFy was the best science fiction show ever on television. Sadly, the SyFy channel has not been able to come up with any suitable replacement.

6. I don't have premium channels, but get the "Dexter" series each season thru Netflix. It is a very good show.

7. I never miss an episode of "The Walking Dead", very well written and acted.

8. Falling Skies on TNT isn't bad
Before you think I don't watch network tv, well, I don't much but "Lost" held my rapt attention thru every season. This past season, I only watched "The River" on network tv. (it was OK)
Back track 15 years ago and I'd be hard pressed to come up with any decent television shows. Homicide for sure and perhaps NYPD Blue. Pressure from the cable folks has made everyone step up their game, my opinion.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Nope. Every time I go to a friend of family member's house I am reminded why I don't pay for TV. Most of it is the lowest form of trash I could imagine.
This says it all. I'm always complaining about TV to my sister. I mean, "16 and Pregnant". Now, who wants to watch that junk. Then you have the History Channel that airs "Ice Road Truckers or "Ax Men". What is there about history with those shows? If it's a History channel, there would be history oriented. Then you've got AMC network that shows CSI Miami one right after the other. That's not a movie. Commercials are what really hack me off. They go on and on and on...If it wasn't for the great reception I'd tell Comcast to come get their box and just use their Internet service. TV for sure sucks.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Al looks like we have pretty similar tastes in TV. I left out Falling Skies and Southland but love them. Falling Skies is getting interesting with the Skidders rebelling.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Hells Fire,I didn't have cable till they came out with that digital shit.I'm out in the country and with the didgital,I lost all the channels I had gotten with rabbit ears.

goontoe

Lurker
Jun 30, 2012
Baton Rouge, LA
I second or third the Breaking Bad suggestion. By far it is the best show I have ever watched on television. The writing, acting, directing are all top notch. The first of the final 16 episodes of the series starts on Sunday. 8 episodes this summer and then the final 8 episodes air next summer. It will be sorely missed when it is all over.

choch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 10, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Amen to what Ace57 wrote. Even cable channels like Discovery, TLC and A&E (which once stood for "Arts & Enterainment TV" believe it or not) have been ruined by the plague of reality show garbage. If it weren't for Netflix and a few good shows like those mentioned above, and movies on the excellent TCM, I wouldn't even watch TV. We watch some excellent series out of the UK like Foyle's War, Doc Martin, A Touch Of Frost, etc and vintage TV shows like The Rockford Files (one of the best shows ever on TV IMHO) on Netflix Streaming.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I should add that I hate reality programming and avoid it like the plague. I don't think I've every seen a reality program and hope to keep that streak alive. I'll read vs. watch that crap.
I'm a cheapskate and old school, so no fancy DVR for me. I still have a couple of VCR's and tape most shows, than blow thru the commercials. AMC has very limited commercials, so they are good to watch live.
The wife has been watching the new "Dallas", but I find it to be pure garbage.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Mad Men, Dexter, and The Walking Dead are some of the best shows ever put on television! There is some quality stuff out there. You just have to take the time to separate the chaff from the wheat. :D

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I watch Burn Notice pretty religiously on Thursdays in the summer on USA Network. It's a great show if you like spy type stuff. American Pickers in History Channel is pretty good as well.

mikemacrdlnds

Dec 21, 2011
Doc Martin, my wife is watching it right now, Modern Family, movies, tv shows on Netflix, AMC, TCM, Baseball, Grand Slam Tennis, that about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.