PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So I'm using the Peterson lighter. I love it and it works great when I'm indoors. Outdoors is where its achilles heel is obvious, its really unreliable and I've got to find a recess in a building for it to work.
Therefore I use my zippo when I'm outdoors, but unlike cigarettes, there's the prominent taste of zippo fuel.
I used a zippo blu when I first started pipes, but it burnt parts of those pipes (not a worry, they were cheapish ones) but I'm not going to risk that on my petersons.
I'm also not going to spend an idiotic amount on something like a dunhill lighter.
So, what's a good one that you guys recommend?

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Jessica the Peterson lighter is a butane Old Boy style? I love my IM Corona Old Boy but IMHO Butane sucks outside. I use a Zippo with the pipe insert as mentioned before on the forums a good quality fluid it might have been mentioned before leave a little space between the pipe and lighter but I always wet the rim with saliva before lighting to prevent rim char. Nasty looking but they are not only pleasure but an investment! :puffy:

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, I've got about 5 zippo and a pipe lighter zippo, but thePeterson Lighter is this, so I'm not sure how it compares with the old boy.
As for the zippo fuel, I use the zippo brand and it still tastes like lighter fuel, but for outdoors, there's not much choice, especially in the middle of winter.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
My favorite might be a homemade hemp lighter. Small bottle/cork -drilled a hole/pushed hemp twine in. Tasteless, small soft easy to control flame. Must be lit with another lighter tho.

Now I also have a Beattie Jet Lighter from the 40's for nostalgia, a soft flame butane which has pipe tools, and even a torch lighter(pipers are cringing everywhere) with pipe tools for the first char burn on some tobaccos. One must be very careful with the torch however and keep it as low as possible. A match is cool but always goes out too fast on a char light to me. Relights are good with a match.
Good old Bic is reliable and provides a soft flame. But it just doesnt seem proper to light up with a Bic to me. I'll leave brand names up to others or your own preference.
HempLighter.jpg

Mar 1, 2014
I've actually started to like the standard Bic. It's the wrong shape, but it still shoots the flame out enough to be useful (held at a 45 degree angle upside down, with the button on the very bottom so the flame rises away from your thumb).

That doesn't help much with the wind, but it is another option that's readily available, and as long as it's not colder than -10C it should still work (I'm planning on using propane once it gets too cold for that).

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
It looks like same butane setup as I said I find all butane to be terrible outside. Ah an old Nimrod there you go, old school my friend you can find them on e-bay they look like a nut and bolt combo. They use flints and fluid I've had one for 25 years my fishing lighter. About $30-40 on e-bay! God I feel old I bought that at 16 am 42! :crying:

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
LOL! A lighter that needs to be lit with another lighter.
Looks pretty cool and old school, although walking down the street with that in my hand would have me locked up pretty quick.
Unfortunately matches suffer the same problem that when a car drives past, your match is dead. As for the Bics, just looks like Im smoking something else.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I use kitchen matches outside, work pretty well. Other than that, I don't taste my zippo if I let it burn a bit before using it to light. Probably the matches that taught me that habit.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've been using Zippos for years, but for pipes you do have to use some caution to avoid burning a nice rim or plateau.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
I suggest a Beattie Jet found on ebay. Built like a tank and uses lighter fluid for a cooler flame.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wooden matches are like religion to me. Nice soft flame, but also the sound and visuals launch the pipe

experience. Life is so full of gadgets and devices. I just need a match.

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I use the IM Corona Old boy, Peterson (which is the same style, a Zippo with the pipe insert and Zippo's with the Vector Thunderbird Pipe insert. The y all work fine outside of a torch wind is the enemy of any soft flame lighter. With the standard Zippo use the black tin fuel and let it burn for a bit to drastically lessen any taste from the fumes.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Total BIC fan.
You can purchase a brick of BICs at a Costco that still sells tobacco products (they hide them because they are really meant for resale, so just ask at "the cage").
I never smoke my pipe outside because of all peripherals required like pipe cleaners and a tamper, so wind is never a consideration for me.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, I don't think we can get strike anywhere around here. Matches and my Peterson Old Boy type are out of the question when outdoors.
Bic just don't look cool enough. (Yes, I know, but if I'm gonna be rocking a pipe in public, I wanna do it in style)
Gonna stick with the Zippo I think..

Status
Not open for further replies.