PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
nothing beats a Zippo except for matches. And matches are VERY inconvenient.
But don't you find they scorch the rims of your pipes? I loved zippos when I smoked cigs, but I find the flame too unwieldy for the pipe, IMO...

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I use matches... it's more easy to control and faster to use than some lighters that use liquid fuel (I hate to find that my nimrod lighter is dry just on the last second) the downside it's that if wind blows a little hard you will have to try at least 3 or 4 times before being successful.
Bic lighters are a fine and cheap alternative, good flame and cheap and easy to buy.
I have always wondered if there are some electric pipe lighters (heating coil element ones), I have made a couple of online searches but I only found the ones for cigarettes.

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
A flameless rechargeable pipe lighter would be easy enough to make but it doesn't appear that anyone has bothered yet. Which is a bit odd since the market for a windproof lighter for, shall we say, non-tobacco pipes should be bigger than it's ever been.

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
There a few "lighters" with ceramic heating elements that on contact will ignite the tobacco... as I have see most of this gadgets are cannabis consumer oriented but on theory still can be used on pipes, the downside it's the crazy price range of $150-$250!
If I have $250 that can be use freely I prefer to use that money on goods for the cellar!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. I'm gonna experiment with these. Dual Plasma lighters, with dual ceramics, USB charged, got a deal 2 for less than 40$, may not work, but if it does the lighting in the wind crap may be a thing of the past. Will let you'all know, don't have them yet.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I smoke my pipes outside almost exclusively, and I have yet to find more of problem lighting my pipe with wooden matches than with lighting using a zippo: it is all in the "cupped hand technique" to block the direction of the breeze. Both tools work work well outside for me even in the Canadian winter winds, but the match flame is noticeably more controllable -- hence some find matches tend to scorch the rim less. I have found this to be the case, too.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I have 3 zippo's do not saturate the cotton with fluid when filling and Strike a flame right after you fill to burn off spillage

I do this and do not have any issues with a bad taste

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
I was always a match guy. Zippo was ok. Bic is fine, but recently I bought a Scribe pipe lighter from Xikar. My only complaint is that it does not hold much fuel.
http://www.xikar.com/products/lighters/scribe/

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
I wanted to know what lighters to buy as well. So far I've seen lighters on smokingpipes go anywhere from $80 to $250. I just want to spend maybe $30 and get a decent lighter. I've been using matches but it's not as cool as using a lighter ;). In all seriousness are any of the pipe lighters on amazon any good? Some links below.
http://amzn.to/2ofVItk

http://amzn.to/2pQ6QKs
Theyre both mr.brog but there are some other brands there. These just happened to be the highest rated (other than the zippos)

Status
Not open for further replies.