PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I tend to believe that beyond airway drilling, a lot of it is psychological. That doesn't stop me from collecting my favorite brand expecting it to smoke better. And being thrilled with the results.
even if it's psychological that still effects how someone smokes so... Maybe best just to believe that some pipes are more blessed by the tobacco fairy.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Also I might add the briar itself. Had a few new pipes over the years that mechanically were perfect but first bowl to bowl 80 just had a foul taste no matter what. Yes, prior to bowl 81 they went in a drawer never to see the light of day again.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I tend to believe that beyond airway drilling, a lot of it is psychological. That doesn't stop me from collecting my favorite brand expecting it to smoke better. And being thrilled with the results.

even if it's psychological that still effects how someone smokes so... Maybe best just to believe that some pipes are more blessed by the tobacco fairy.
My point exactly. All things being equal, a great pipe will not be a great smoker unless you like the pipe and believe that it is.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
As a new pipe smoker who was looking forward to eventually procuring a pipe in which every bowl stayed lit and burned cool, I find this thread very upsetting.
Keep on with it, just gets better and better the more you learn! I too am fairly new, about 5 yrs in. I was smart enough to buy 6 cobs to start and I promise you that not one cob survived my learning curve. The people on here are awesome and will help you out anyway possible!

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I'm definitely sticking with it. And for the record, seem to have more success with cobs than briars. Not sure what that's about, but I'm sure I'll figure it out at some point.
Just ask a lot of questions remember, the only stupid question is an unasked question! Like I said, there is probably 1000 years of combined wisdom and knowledge with the good folks on here!

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think the primary factors differentiating pipes are the drill/draw and stem construction. I prefer a wide, thin mouthpiece because i primarily clinch. The drill should allow a pipe cleaner to easily pass. That is a complete dis qualifier for me as well. And there are certainly subtle to even dramatic differences in the quality of the briar used.

With all that said, I also agree with Embers in for the most part, more of the differences are in the Smoker's head than reality would dictate. The reality is however, that cosmetic and emotional issues/feelings come into play with most things in our life. The cars we choose to drive, the food we eat, the drinks we drink, the friends we have and even the woman we marry. It would be naive to think similar issues don't come into play with enjoying one pipe over an other.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not a saltedplug style doubter of expensive pipes, but I've always wondered if part of the reason many of us think more expensive pipes tend to smoke better is that the price of our acquisitions increases more or less in step with our refining of smoking technique. Maybe they just both tend to go up over time. Better smoker -> better smokes & pricier pipes.

In the end, a good smoking pipe is an ineffable thing, and you can't narrow it down to one single factor (at least I can't). I've had incredible pipes at all ends of my budget spectrum, and some mediocre ones too.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
many of us think more expensive pipes tend to smoke better is that the price of our acquisitions increases more or less in step with our refining of smoking technique
I think it has more to do with the "expensive has to be better" mindset. I find my cobs to smoke just as well as any of my artisan pieces mechanically. Big open draw, one or two relights if any at all, but there's more attachment to the artisan pipes because I know someone made them specifically for me.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I think it has more to do with the "expensive has to be better" mindset. I find my cobs to smoke just as well as any of my artisan pieces mechanically. Big open draw, one or two relights if any at all, but there's more attachment to the artisan pipes because I know someone made them specifically for me.
There may be some logic/fact to this depending on circumstances. For example, I tend to find my straight pipes smoke better than my full bent pipes. Certainly there are exceptions but the straight billiards are what I reach for more often than not. One reason could be that at the price point I buy in, makers/factories can more consistently produce straight pipes with proper drilling than they can with bent shapes (Peterson I'm looking at you). I do have one or two estate bent shapes that are great, but they would certainly have been more expensive pipes. Perhaps expensive can be better sometimes.

Reactions: UncleRasta
Status
Not open for further replies.