PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
As the title implies, I'd like to hear from other members how the empty bowls of your pipes smell, or how you feel they should smell. Id like to think I'm about average in cleaning habits. After a smoke, I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and into the bowl, "ream" the bowl with paper towel, and once cool enough I remove the stem and swab the mortise, reassemble and set down to dry. I've always thought the bowls of my pipes should smell better then they do given my cleaning habits. I wouldn't say it's a sour acrid smell like an unkept pipe, but it's not sweet or pleasant either. I guess it just smells like a hole stuff is burned in, which is what it is. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: diamondback

wordheavy

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2019
Southern California
All except the cobs I smoke aros in from time to time smell like burnt tobacco. The cobs smell like vanilla and caramel, with a kind of burntness to them, but nice. I can smell a difference between my vaper pipes and latakia blend pipes, but I wouldn't say they smell bad. I kind of like the way they smell, I have to get very close to them before I smell anything.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Interesting question. Well, interesting enough to get me out of the recliner on Sunday evening :LOL:

My English & Balkan devoted briars: burnt smokey firewood, not terribly unpleasant.

Va/Pers: burnt, but not as heavily burnt nor as pleasant to me as the English/Balkans, and worse than I thought they would given the sweet memories I have of them.

Burley cobs: just plain old burnt wood.

Reactions: Mr.Mike

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
When ever cigarette smokers has a look at my pipes they always stick their nose in the bowl and the more recently I’ve smoked it the happier they emerge: no matter the style of tobacco.

As far as things that have stuff burnt in them on a regular basis go, I’d say they smell pretty good :)

Reactions: Mr.Mike

blues4goose

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2019
Bethlehem, PA
I have my pipe rack on my nightstand right next to my pillow and I've never noticed a smell from them. When I get my nose in the chamber for a whiff, it's very sweet, and a very comforting smell for me. I smoke pretty much everything out of pretty much all of my pipes, most frequently McC's VA

Status
Not open for further replies.