Search on Site

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Preferred Member
May 26, 2012
United States
I just won this off a pipestud auction and I am psyched. It has been 7 long years since I was able to get an other Scott Thile pipe into my collection, they are tough to come by, especially one hardly smoked.
I don't know the rules about when a pipe is a bulldog or a rhodesian. The pipe I bought looks like a rhody to me, but I am no expert. The pipe is a nice sized group 4.

pepesdad1

Preferred Member
Feb 28, 2013
Can't help you with the shape, but the stem work on that is just plain gorgeous...as is the rest of the pipe!

pipebaum81

Preferred Member
Nov 23, 2014
Bulldog kicked back relaxed on vacation. Beautiful pipe with a unique personal look

cigrmaster

Preferred Member
May 26, 2012
United States
Do Bulldogs also have the rim of the pipe angled so much towards the middle. Also do all bulldogs have the 2 lines and a rhody only has one?

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, though the edges are rounded a bit, the shank is still diamond shaped, so I'd call it a bulldog. A Rhodesian has a round, or maybe in some cases an oval, shank, but this is clearly in a diamond configuration despite the rounded edges. I'd cite the Savinelli 673 shape, which has a similarly rounded diamond shank, and which in most cases is identified as a bulldog. These shape issues are always up for grabs because of the creativity of pipe carvers, but I feel this is a safe call. As many may know, Scott Thile is the father of Chris Thile, the accomplished mandolin player and now radio variety show host. Is Scott retired or just making fewer pipes lately?

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
The angle of the bowl and the bead lines whether one, two, or none, are optional on both bulldogs and Rhodesians.

cigrmaster

Preferred Member
May 26, 2012
United States
Thanks for all the nice comments and answers to my question. So consensus says Bulldog.
cossack, I had a friend who had a Rhodesian ridgeback and it was a great animal.
I also have this Rad Davis pipe that I have never figured out what it should be called.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
WI
I was always confused regarding bulldog Rhodesian. So I'm no help there but it looks like a Nording Hunter pipe version of a bulldog.
Hunting dog?

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
Yes, though the edges are rounded a bit, the shank is still diamond shaped, so I'd call it a bulldog. A Rhodesian has a round, or maybe in some cases an oval, shank, but this is clearly in a diamond configuration despite the rounded edges.