PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
GLP JackKnife Plug and Macbaren ODF Bulk Ready Rubbed for my Dark Fired burleys.

GLP Stratford for my Va/Per. I'm not huge on heavy Va/Pers, so Stratford fits the bill with it's "just a pinch of perique."

SPC Plum Pudding - opened a tin this week, and while not being a huge latakia fan, I find that the addition of cavendish tobacco really makes me enjoy this blend.

C&D Black Frigate - once again with the latakia, the cavendish adds a sweet dimension. Also the tin/jar note makes me feel like I traveled back in time to an old tobacco store.

Haven't really found a Virginia I like to the extent of cellaring much of yet, but GLP Union Square and Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake have grown on me, the latter more so.

Probably a few tins of Peterson 3P for a treat when it comes around again in the next few months.
I'll probably cellar the aforementioned deeply as the year passes and finish up the jars of tobaccos I have opened of blends that I won't buy again or will seldom, which is:
GLP Haddos delight

C&D Exhausted Rooster

G&H Ennerdale Flake

GLP Triple Play

Macbaren Bold Kentucky

A few others that I haven't tried that much that might grow on me are SG BBF and C&D Burley Flake #5.
Blends currently open that I won't able able to get anymore are:

McClellands 5115

McClellands 5110

Dunhill DNR

Dunhill MM965
I've got a pretty wide cellar more than deep back in my home country as I finish this year of teaching here in South Korea. Trying to finish the 20oz+ I have here before I open anything else and make the move back to the USA.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke so moderately, spelled slowly, glacially, that I have no particular plans for cellaring anything more. My small stash could last me for years. Since PAD may nibble, I could go for some Presbyterian, just out of long-held curiosity, a tin or two of D&R, or something else. But new purchases tend to get lost in the crowd. I still have McClelland and Dunhill blends, Low Country, Seattle Pipe Club, Stanwell, Mac Baren, Edward G., C&D, and many others to hold down the fort.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Really the only thing I am looking for in bulk right now is FVF. I'm good on most everything else.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Maybe a few more tins of GH Bob's Chocolate Flake, GH Ennerdale, SG Bothy Flake and St Bruno Flake. I've been enjoying these blends lately.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
piano,

Cig - as someone who cellars both the DFK and Navigator, how do the two compare? I tried a fresh tin of Navigator and almost tossed the entire bowl. I do love me some Orlik though..
I have found those blends to be very different flavor wise. The Orlik has a distinctive flavor of molasses and a bit of licorice which Navigator has none of. The Navigator has a nice sweet flavor to it and the age has smoothed it out in a big way, no more rough edges. They are similar in that they both need significant age before they come around. I believe that is due to the Dark Fired in each. In my experience most blends with DF need significant age to really shine.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Since I'm within 15 pounds or so to reach 100 lbs total, I'm going to go ahead and get there this year - just because. The blends I'm buying now a pound or 2 combined per order are ones that I know I like and are readily available and available in tins. Escudo, Solani 633, Old Dark Fired and more tinned straight Virginia blends, which is probably going to be more of a focus. Just ordered a few tins of Mac Baren Pure Virginia to see if I want to go deeper with it. If FVF, Dunbar and various Rattray's present themselves in the meantime, I'll grab them too but I'm tired of waiting around for the stuff.
I've cellared pretty wide with 3-10 tins of lots of different blends, many of which I haven't tried but am confident I'll enjoy down the road for some variety to go with the deeply cellared favorites. Math is telling me that I'll smoke more than 100 pounds before I die but going much higher than that seems a bit presumptuous.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I plan to go deeper on:
SG BBF and Balkan Flake

F&T CVF, CVP and Vintage

GLP Union Square, Quiet Nights, Maltese Falcon, Chelsea Morning and Westminster

Astley's No 44 and 109

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake and Golden Sliced

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I plan on cellaring some vintage Ports, some Bordeauxs, some Reislings, and a few white odds and ends from Germany and Austria. Oops, wrong cellar. :rofl:
The only tobacco I intend on purchasing in significant amounts is Manil Le Petit Robin but not for the express purpose of cellaring/aging. I just want to take advantage of any deals I can get on it and stock up while I have the ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.