PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Disclaimer...I am a newb and have only had a couple of aromatics in my bowl.
I've been puffing on some Captain Black White and some Borkum Riff with a couple pinches of cherry, both with moderate success and taste. Last night, however, I tried my local B&M's Dunhill 965 mixture. It smelled good in the jar and decided to give it a go. Out on the porch with a glass of Jamesons, lit the bowl and was taken aback by how disgusting this stuff tasted. It was reminiscent of a stale Garcia Vega (in the plastic tube) and old mushrooms with a hint of warthog butt.
So what was your worst taste experience?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'll agree that Mixture 965 didn't do greatness for me either. It was like yard leaves for me. I like the smokyness but it was just too intense.
Grousemoor is on my TAD list however. So if anyone hates it and has some lying around... I'm your man. :wink:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Peterson Old Dublin. I bought the tin a few months ago,tried it, hated it, jarred it. Pulled it out last night to try another bowl, even worse this time around. This stuff seems to have a lot of fans, so it must just be me.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Years ago one of my favorites was to be Bengal Slices.When I saw that they had an aromatic I figured it would be good..Wrong..It taste just like soap.I thoughy I was smoking Tide.I had to clean the pipe before I could smoke it again.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
I'm going to use this list as a reference for my next venture to a real B&M at the end of the month. Gonna hit McCranies in Charlotte. I sure don't want to waste anymore money.

nikko

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2011
sterling tobacco's bargain tobacco, they sent me a sample of it with something else I was getting. Had a bowl of it, felt pretty dry, but not so bad to not smoke it. It was horrible. I will never be tempted by a companies special blend of "we just throw together all the scraps" again.
Also, mattmars, I really like your pic, it is nice knowing that I am not the only one suffering with SAD (stone acquisition disorder)... I don't care if it is before noon, I want a ruination now...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
mattmars, I'm the exact opposite. I think 965 is a classic English blend and simply superb.
Captain Black, Borkum Riff and cherry-flavored tobaccos are (in my opinion) utterly FOUL. Sugary, syrupy, candy-coated awfulness.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
I tried some Captain Black White so I could have the experience as a benchmark. It was from a drugstore in a smallish town (Shawnee, OK). I think it was probably old since it was dried out. It had no aromatic smell or taste. It was harsh and nasty and I dumped the bowl. Mixed it with some RLP-6/ancient mariner and the combo is much better. Probably should have just thrown it out but it cost $11. What a ripoff huh?

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
nikko, if it's not an AB it'll be a Ruination or the Old Guardian Barley Wine when I can find it.
Paul, I understand that it's really up to personal taste. To each his own. I guess I really meant to say that I would just use it to aid in my next baccy purchase. If enough people say the same thing about the same tobacco, well I won't waste the money. Thanks for the tip on the sell/trade.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The only problem with that, is tobacco is very personal, what works for some doesn't work for another.
Exactamundo!

I think you may have been a little quick to venture into "The Dark Side"...

New pipe smokers often start with Aromatics... as you did.

And, weren't ready to step into the world of English Blends.

But, to answer you question...

I love 965, and Grousemoor...

BUT... Stanwell's Melange... (Let's just say I was underwhelmed)

:puffy:

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
it is all personal... Borkum Riff is the only thing i have tried that i have hated.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
There are a few contenders, Captain Black Cherry, Fader's Lanyard, but Fader's Swiss Chocolate probably wins since it wound up in the trash. The CB Cherry and Lanyard were combined in a jar, with a few odds and ends added and have mutated into something smokable

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
This thread is funny. Dunhill 965? It's good. Not the best Latakia/English blend, but a solid one. Old Dublin was awful when I was still wet behind the ears, and now it's a good smoke when I want something "for me" and I don't care about room note. Bagpiper's Dream is in my #2 slot. Absolutely wonderful and I have never tasted ammonia. I like the sample of H&H Egg Nog I tried, SG fire Dance Flake is my favorite among the SG blends. SG Grousemoor is a solid smoke if a bit one-dimensional for me. Captain Black White is fine, but again a bit boring.
On to what you should be asking... "I'm going to McCranie's at the end of the month, are there any stand out blends I should be looking for? I've smoked aromatics mostly up til now."
McCranie's Southern Cream and Quail Run are not to be missed. Also, Southport is a solid Va/Per that I think is pretty good. if you're looking for a Va blend, Their Red Ribbon and Red Flake are great. Happy smoking!
-Jason

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
@mattmars and @nikko: count me in that too :) If I'm in the mood for hoppy then ruination or the stone IPA are both at the top of the list. And it's never a bad time for an Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard!

pipmannen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2010
I had two really bad experiences, that Borkum Riff burbon stuff, and Capstan original, I guess I was just smoking Capstan too fast, or is it really that high in N? Anyway I got really sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.