PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
i can't stand St Bruno- compared to all other tobaccos I have smoked this always seems dry and flavourless; I imagine smoking saw dust would be similar ;)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This thread makes me :rofl: because it again shows how personal tastes are. I'm not a fan of 965,although many folks are, but I love Old Dublin and Squadron Leader,and smoke several C&D Virginias. Have a tin of Back Porch open right now.

Worst stuff I ever smoked was dream Castle Vintage Black & Gold. Happily, I smoked it in a cob. I had to throw out the cob afterwards - could not get rid of the taste.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
As others have mentioned it is interesting how one man’s garbage is in another man’s cellar. I'll skip listing the blends I like that some of you dislike and stay on topic. I’ve only thrown out two blends: Half & Half and Tuskegee Airmen.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I dislike Paladin Cherry and Capt. Black. I threw them both in the can.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
By far mine is Five Brothers... didn't get past 1/4 of the bowl before I dumped it....... :x

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
@spartan: Try Ennerdale for your "Soap fix". I love the stuff.
So far I hate Limerick by Dan tobacco. It just turns real bad for me half way down the bowl.

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
Anniversary Kake -- it actually made me sick for two days.

jlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2011
Denver
For me it was Red Cap - I know it's more of a RYO but the pouch note smelled pretty good so I gave it a few gos. It tasted like an old lady fart passing through an onion.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Very interesting reading.
All I would add to that mentioned by others is be aware that your palette changes. More years ago than I care to remember, I smoked practically nothing but St Bruno. Easily found OTC blend in the UK. I always preferred the Flake to the Ready Rubbed, anyway... I believe that I nearly overdosed on the stuff and have avoided it at all costs for the last 20 years plus. However, I was gifted some "Home Brew" by a fellow UK Pipester and it was magnificent. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the ingredients were,50% St Bruno,50% Condor Long Cut and a Pinch of Patagas Cigar leaf. Now both of those were on the "Avoid at all costs" list. Well I smoke them both on a regular basis now.

Same thing with some of the blends that seem to be bracketed as "Lakeland". I had mentioned that I wasn't very fond of anything Floral or Soapy, again, I was very pleasantly surprised when I recently tried some Ennerdale Flake, Bob's Chocolate and even another of our old standby OTC blends Erinmore.

I still enjoy a few Aromatics for a change of pace. But these tend to be edging more toward the subtle blends as opposed to something like Paladin Cherry. LOL.
All I am saying is this, don't make the same mistakes that we have all made before. We have all dismissed many an excellent blend, only to return to it and wonder how we had missed a gem the first time around.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like 965, was my first foray into english blends. The worst thing I ever smoked was C&D Crooner. Tastes like old cigarettes to me. Bing was a heavy cigarette smoker before he turned to pipes, so I guess that's why he liked the stuff.

rls80

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
Samuel Gawith Dark Cherry. Scarred for life, I'll never try another cherry blend again!

aussielass

Oct 18, 2011
Bloody Nora, and there was me thinking I was alone in my vengeful hatred of Borkum Riff and that it was just because I was a newbie yet to get acquainted with the art of a different type of smoke defiling my lungs in a different manner (yes, I inhale, and make no apologies for doing so).
Jees, I'm gutted that most discerning posters, and even their compulsive pissing cats, loathe the stuff. I'm sat here looking forlornly at my teeny weeny pouch that cost me $42.00 feeling like crap, knowing it's about the only damn brand I can get in this hellhole major city.
After reading everyone's reviews & comments on the wonderful blends you all have access to, I'm seriously thinking this may not be the hobby for me - no sense in having exquisite pipes when you only have worse than manure to pack in them.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Worst experience with a tobacco by far was Old Dublin. I definitely wasn't ready for English/Latakia blends when I tried it, because it had me throwing up about ten minutes after I finished the bowl. I'm starting to think English/Latakia blends are ok for those who come to the briar from cigars/cigarettes but for those like me who've never smoked anything else regularly it's probably better to start out with aromatics. The flavour of Old Dublin wasn't too bad, it was just the fact that it made me throw up that turned me off to it.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
For Me it's Half & Half.
+1
Although I can be accused of "never smoked a tobacco I didn't like," Half & Half comes very close. It's the first blend I have ever smoked that half way through the bowl I actually contemplated dumping it. It's not dreadful, but it has an "off" taste that I just couldn't get into.
I think I'll try another bowl or two here shortly to see if my opinion changes (though I doubt it will). If it doesn't, it'll get tossed in the garbage, but as of right now Half & Half is my worst tasting tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.