PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
i havent tried many tobaccos, but none that ive tried i didnt like. ive tried Captain Black Royal, Half & Half, Arrowhead Pipe Club Mixture, A Sweet Cherry Cavendish Blend, and Countryside. and ive liked them all

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
My worst was Iwan Ries 3 Star Blue. To me it tastes like it smells, It smells like moldy wet wood with a sweet taste. To me the taste improves when you hit that last burnt nasty ashy bottom of the bowl taste.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
I would have said more but they would have probably deleted it. If I had the choice between 3 star and manure, I would smoke the manure hands down.

Jul 12, 2011
Sutliffe's Blend No.5, is not for me :(
Agree with others...one piper's sweet spot might not be for another...also keep in mind some blends you don't like now, mason jar'em and come back to them in 6-12 months, you might find out that it is your new favorite bacci (I'm sure we all have these stories/thread as well)
Also some bacci is more of a PITA to get the "sweet spot" from but when you find it, WOW...for me bacci like Stonehaven and Marlin Flake can really be a PITA to get it to "give it up" but when it does....OH YEAH, love the stuff! :wink:

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
lordnoble....Thank you for the suggestions. Also, it was my B&M's version of Dunhill 965 and they don't really cater to anyone except the RYO crowd and it's the only one near me.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Of the few tobacco's I have tried, the only one I couldn't stand was Bob's Chocolate Flake. Every puff had a foul taste to it. I've tossed it in a jar and hope it improves in a couple of months.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'll second the Firedance hate. It smells like an ice cream topping and tastes just about as good as if you were to set blackberry sauce on fire and drink it.
Borkum Riff is what we use as Carbide repellent (he's our kitten with the personality of a drill bit) and it works amazingly well. I stuffed a pouch into an old stocking and stuffed it into the crack of this chair he's fond of peeing on. Now he sits near it and looks at the chair with a mix of longing and disdain.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Borkum Riff is what we use as Carbide repellent (he's our kitten with the personality of a drill bit) and it works amazingly well. I stuffed a pouch into an old stocking and stuffed it into the crack of this chair he's fond of peeing on. Now he sits near it and looks at the chair with a mix of longing and disdain.

That's too funny,Cyndi! I can't stand Borkum Riff either!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@papipeguy - I actually WANT to taste this soapy quality everyone is saying about condor. Anything in the US with a similar soapyness to it so I can grab it up?

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
I don't think I've had a tobacco that I dumped because it tasted bad, except for the Super Value Butter Rum stuff. Never tried Borkum riff or Mixture 79, or 965 for that matter. Maybe I should change this with a trip to the B&M this weekend...

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Captain Black, Borkum Riff and cherry-flavored tobaccos are (in my opinion) utterly FOUL. Sugary, syrupy, candy-coated awfulness.
Yeah.... I have some 'mild & burley" stuff from the local tobacconist that literally damaged my mouth for week. I cannot detect a smidgen of worthiness in Captain Black either. I have the remainder of a 2 ounce pouch rotting away in a mason jar just in case there are truly such a thing as miracles.
For whatever reason I love the smell of aromatic tobaccos but rarely actually like them. 1928 Reserve & Erinmore are currently the only 2 I can tolerate. I have heard that top black cherry is tasty. I may succumb to the folly with the foreknowledge of disgusting futures.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
i have a tin of Sutliff No. 5 I haven't even smoked because the tin smells like hell to me and I don't want it ghosting my pipes. I've never met a tin aroma I didn't like before that.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Borkum Riff (any blend), Old Dublin and Squadron Leader. Although I can recognize that the last one probably is a great tobacco I can never get past the latakia taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.