PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
My first was Frog Morton Cellar, I bought it and saved it for the closing on the house and farm on which I now live. I was more of an English smoker then, and it was good enough that I keep it in my rotation, but it wasn't pure love. I played with a few others, Arcadia being pretty awesome. But then, on the anniversary of my marriage, sitting at a B&B with my wife, I popped a tin of Black Shag, and the smell captivated me. Upon lighting, I knew I was primarily a Virginia smoker from now on. This led me down the path of all of the wonderful McClelland Virginia flake tobaccos. I started buying pipes based on their dimensions and ability to smoke flaked Virginia tobaccos, folded and stuffed. That essence, call it all of the silly names that you want, will never be forgotten. I am saddened that I will only ever have what I have in my cellar to smell that glorious McClelland tin note on a good Virginia flake.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
She was nervous, and so was I
:rofl:
I smoked Lane Limited 1-Q for years and nothing more.. Then one day I had a friend ask me about pipe tobaccos and what to smoke and I started researching for him and created a TAD monster in myself. I was very interested in oriental forward english blends, which led me to my first McClelland Frog Morton on the town. Which at the time I absolutely loved, and it was a good sweet transition away from aro's. I am a LOTR fan as well, which made it more interesting.

Later for me the real favorites are the VaPer's. Woodsroad posted pictures of an order of his with many Beacon Extra tins, after which I tried and loved, and fully regret not stocking up on many of those tins. 2015 as well is delicious.

It all happened so fast, the roughly 3.5 pounds I have cellared isn't nearly enough..

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Christmas Cheer was what did it first for me. It does make me sad that I missed out on some stuff that will never be seen again.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
My first McClelland blend was 221-B Collection Black Shag because of being a Sherlock Holmes fan. But one of the most sublime smokes I ever had was from a tin of 1995 Christmas Cheer that we cracked open in 2005. It was like smoking English toffee.
Russ

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds sublime!
I tried cutting some toffee bars into a shag cut, but after applying flame, it reverted to a gooey mess....still was tasty, though.....

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
My B&M had some house blends(aro's) that they recommended. I thought they smelled great but didnt get any flavour. I got discouraged until I tried Frog Morton on the Town. I was like yup, this is what I was looking for. Solani 633 came along not long after and I realised that I was a virginia guy and though I like latakia, it doesnt call to me like VA's.
#2015 VaPer Flake and was immediately smitten.

I feel the same way about the 2015. I dont know how long my stash will last, but Im going to enjoy every smoke out of it.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
My favorite Cheer so far has been 2007. I have several different years that I will not be cracking open for awhile now. They are something else for sure and I am really not a Virginia lover.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Frog Morton on the Bayou was my first encounter with McClelland. The ketchuppy thing was a bit overpowering at first, but became less noticeable after some air got to it. What truly impressed me was the absolute creaminess of the smoke. Since then I've tried some other Frog Morton blends, but FMOTB is the only one I repurchase. Although the smoky flavor tastes more aromatic than natural, I still smoke a tin now and again.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Her name was Heidi...
th

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
Blackwoods Flake was my first McClelland. After a transcendental experience one night on my back porch where all the stars aligned and the flavors of the Blackwoods Flake in my bowl just blew me away I knew I needed to start investing in a cellar. After stocking up on No. 27, St. James Woods, Christmas Cheer, and of course Blackwoods Flake I came back around to 5100 which had bored me initially. I wish I had not delayed stocking up a few more pounds on that one.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
A.M. Pipe was my first and I found I liked it better than EMP. Which at that time was saying something considering EMP turned me in to a raging English fan. I didn't stock up on it, nor am I smoking it anymore due to my Nic prefreence calls for something more intense. That said, if I were to stumble on a B&M with an unsold cache, I'd buy a pound of AM Pipe.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Balkan Blue was my first. I was a cigar snob and then tried pipes with English blends. I was hooked. I am now mainly a Virginia or VaPer guy but I did stock up on B.B. thank God.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It was dark, I was nervous, I was alone ...
My first experience with McClelland was Arcadia probably in 2000 or 2001. It was an easy and tasty smoke and lead to massive McClelland TAD. In hindsight that turned out to be fortuitous.
Prior to finding McClelland I’d always found straight Virginias to be cigaretty. They subsequently opened the door to Orientals and Balkans. Without McClelland I probably wouldn’t be as deeply into the enjoyment of this hobby as I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.