What tobacco(s) would you use for the pipe shapes I have pictured here?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Hi friends. I am looking for a little feedback. I have several new pipes that I just can't seem to light. I plan to smoke them but I can't make up my mind what to break them in with.
I want to show you a few pipes and based on what you see and read, what tobacco might you choose to use in this pipe?
First up is this awesome new squat acorn from Il Duca. It's about 5.3 inches. I was thinking that this relatively small chamber might be perfect for a stronger tobacco that I don't want to smoke a lot of... such as one of the Tabac Manil Semois blends. I could always use Burleys in it later or simultaneously - the Semois flavor would give the burleys an interesting twist:

Next is this very large Blowfish? or ? from Cavicchi. It is 6.3 inches long with an extremely large and high chamber with very thick walls. I have no idea what to put in this pipe. Sometimes it calls to me for an English blend.

Lastly, is my "red dragon" from Jose Rubio. It's a a Billiard/Liverpool. It's about 6.3 inches long. Lightweight. Clenchible.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Pretty pipes!
If they were mine I'd do Solani 660 in the Il Duca, in the Cavicchi I'd do a mix of Orlik GS & Capstan Blue flake, and the Rubio would get a 80/20 mix of McClelland 5100/5105.
Just my opinion of course (I don't smoke latakia).

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Duca.....John Cotton's Smyrna
Cavicchi.....Bengal Slices
Rubio.....Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Which blends are up to your taste but Id match the pipes with blend type/family
Squat Acorn = English blends

Blowfish = Lat forward blends

Billiard = Aro's/English

geejaycutty

Lurker
Nov 25, 2016
If I would be the owner I would say: a VaBur like Troost slices in the Squat Acorn and a Va or VaPer like St James flake (SG) in the Blowfish

Neither do I smoke Lat and I never would buy a Billiard.

Jul 12, 2011
I find the larger diameter bowls serve well for English, smaller or cone shaped bowls burn Virginia flake like no other - if your PAD gets really bad like mine did years ago...you can smoke hundreds of blends and not circle back to the same pipe/bacci for 365+ days...damn PAD :worship:
I tend to keep the English mixture away from my Virginia only pipes, they ghost like a mofo, unless you blast with burley blends for awhile so I tend to have English specific only pipes, which are mostly pot shaped larger bowls 2" on height

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For the squat acorn, I recommend flake/plug/coin/rope. It will burn low and slow and give a perfect smoke. For Tabac-Manil Semois medium and thick cut, for which I have an intense liking, I recommend a tall deep bowl of only average diameter, like a chimney, deep billiard, MM cob freehand, or similar.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Im not sure what Id smoke in the first pipe, probably start with VA flakes till I got the nerve to change it. Blowfish would be Lat/Balkan, and the billiard would be for my va/pers.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I would definitely smoke Irish Flake in the Il Duca, an amazing aromatic such as Cube Silver in the Cavicchi and finally some London Mixture in the Rubio.
My reasoning is the Il Duca cries for a good flake, the Cavicchi is fancy enough to smoke at formal events and non pipe smokers love the smell of a good aromatic, and the Rubio deserves a decent English.
Smoke what you love!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would use the IL Duca for a complex English, or GLPease Sixpence.

A straight Virginia in the Cavicchi.

The Red Dragon would go well with Fava Beans and a nice Chianti.

Status
Not open for further replies.