What to Order if I Like H&H Anniversary Kake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haymarket

Lurker
Jul 23, 2012
California
Hello all,
After a period of not smoking pipes, I have recently gotten back into the tobaccos I purchased three years ago (2012). I realized that I keep going back to my jar of Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake. I am certain that the three years of aging time has improved this blend, but I am now preparing to order some more and also want to try some other/similar VaPers. Note, that I recently tried Louisiana Red and immediately noticed it lacked the fig characteristics of HH Anniversary Kake, as well as having a less than pleasing room note.
I started making a list of blends to try, including Escudo, but the variety is endless. Could anyone provide suggestion for a couple more blends to try that are similar to Anniversary Kake?
Thank you!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Excellent suggestions by Cortez.
I would also recommend GL Pease's Haddo's Delight and Rattray's Marlin Flake. Anniversary Kake is among the richest, plummiest of VaPers, especially when aged. So you're going to be hard-pressed to match that unique flavor profile. But Marlin Flake will deliver some of that plum with some higher sweet notes. Haddo's will give you the kitchen sink of Perique flavor profiles, transforming from sweet, to stewed-fruity, to spicey as the bowl progresses.
[If you like the Cairo that Cortez suggested, and/or the Haddo's, you'll have your hands full with a huge variety of Va/Bur/Per hybrids. Two I would recommend in that zone are McConnell's Scottish Cake (one of my top favorites), HH Acadian Perique, and Peterson's Irish Oak. These are less overtly flavored than Cairo & Haddo's, but are delicious nonetheless.]
You'll love the Escudo you have on your order list, but it will present very differently from Anni Kake. Assuming you like the Escudo (who doesn't?), I would recommend GL Pease's Fillmore.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe order more Anni Kake. I've just tried it, courtesy of a sample sent by a Forums member, and it is delightful. There are so many versions of Va/Per, but this one is done just right.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I am a huge Anni Kake fan. And I have not found anything like it. I've tried other VaPer blends most are too strong on the perique. Order more Anni Kake! :)

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Now smoking the last of my stash of James Fox Squire’s Mixture in a 2003 medium bent Ural meer with a lined and etched egg shaped bowl.

haymarket

Lurker
Jul 23, 2012
California
Thank you all for the variety of suggestions, most were not even on my list.
After looking up each of the suggestions, I realize I want to order all of them, especially since I have yet to try products from McClelland or C&D/GL Pease.
However, since I cannot order all of them in one shot, perhaps you guys can help me narrow down the selection using room note. My wife likes the smell of Anniversary Kake, but said that Louisiana Red spells like cigarette. Based on that, should I steer toward, or away from, any of the suggested blends?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's no kind of match, but if you like Anni Kake, you might also enjoy PS Luxury Navy Flake, or (I've heard) PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, both now on sale at PC, at $1.75 an ounce if you buy at least 4 ounces; you won't see that price again soon, I don't think.

haymarket

Lurker
Jul 23, 2012
California
Thanks again for the suggestions. I will be making my way through most of the suggestions, but to get me started I just ordered the following from pipesandcigars.com:

C&D Night Train

GL Pease Haddo's Delight

PS Luxury Navy Flake

H&H Anniversary Kake

C&D Autumn Evening (just to finally try)

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I am glad to see you ordered more Anni Kake with your new selections. I have also taken a feel liking to it and throw in a tin when ever I order trying to build up a stock in the cellar. I definitely like trying new stuff, but don't see much of a reason to stray to far from a favorite.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I'm a little late to this bus, but I think your choice of GL Pease Haddos Delight was a good one. They aren't the same, but cousins and I enjoy them both.
And Kudos ordering more Anniversary Kake- its good fresh, and GREAT with some age. Stick some in a jar and forget about it for awhile. If you didn't know, in October Pipesandcigars.com has a buy 2 get one free sale on 8 oz H&H products- you can get 1.5 pounds of anni kake for under $40!
I did notice H&H is also producing a new blend called Viparati I think which is supposed to be a real grown up version of anniversary Kake.
Finally, if you have not tried Escudo, its the gold standard of VaPers and you simply must try it sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.