What Tin/Bag?Pouch Are You Opening Today?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I have way too many tins/jars open but I keep ordering more, especially since my new found love for Lakelands and my search for some truly unique tobaccos. This morning I treid C&D's Crooner for the first time but I'm having some problems with allergies so I could hardly taste it, just kind of harsh when retrohaling. I also tried (for the first time) some GH&CO's Louisiana Perique and Bob's Square Cut (unscented), both tasting pretty damn good as I expect considering the source but again, I'm having trouble tasting much of anything right now.
p.s. Anyone know if I am able to edit the title of this thread? I put a "?" where I should have put a "/". I'm sure everyone understands, it's just bothersome to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cannot open anything new until I finish a tin. All of my tupperware like containers that I store my open tins in are full to the brim. I have a tin of 2012 Mac Baren Old Dark Fired ready to crack as soon as I get the space. I have around 25 tins open.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nothing new opened. I did polish off the last of a generous sample of C&D Stratfordshire (except for a little I threw in to mix with the leavings of some rubbed out Mac B's Latakia Flake). The Strat was sent me by a Forums member. I have so many good samples and others jarred, I hesitate to open any new tins, though I have some great ones getting some age. An embarrassment of riches despite a pretty modest stash.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Irish Flake is perdy darn good and you have inspired me to revisit my stash! I didn't even realize there was an anise topping?

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Opened Cabbie's Mixture today and came to a final decision. I just don't like Perique. Must be body chemistry or my palate, but I get none of the "subtleties" I hear other speak of. For me, it's like pouring plain black pepper in my mouth. Nothing enjoyable about that!

Dec 28, 2015
Opened Cabbie's Mixture today and came to a final decision. I just don't like Perique.
Although I like several blends with perique I have to agree that cabbies mixture is like eating a black pepper packet from a fast food restaurant. I wanted to like cabbies but it was just a big turn off for me.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Just opened a tin of Purple Cow my first thought was hmmm the burley component reminds me of Haunted Bookshop then I noticed it was blended by the same guy :)
Hawky454: Crooner reminds me of Chamomile Tea but I found it kind of bland but then I got the idea of adding some Frosty Mint so now it tastes like Sleepy Time Tea (vanilla mint chamomile tea) So I named it Jareth's Blend ( my nephew Jareth loves Chamomile Tea).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hawky454: Crooner reminds me of Chamomile Tea but I found it kind of bland but then I got the idea of adding some Frosty Mint so now it tastes like Sleepy Time Tea (vanilla mint chamomile tea) So I named it Jareth's Blend ( my nephew Jareth loves Chamomile Tea).

That sounds interesting! I love experimenting with different blends. I've been enjoying Crooner with a pinch of 5 Brothers, good, stout smoke! Have you tried any other blend with Deer Tongue? I'm wondering which blend contains the most of it.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Nope but I have heard that Crooner is the one most complain about having too much Dear Tongue, I don't find it that strong really, just different. I know Rich's from 4noggins uses Dear Tongue in some of his blends.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Pried my first tin of SG English Summer Flake open. Man is that ever a good flake of tobacco. Note to self....start hoarding SG ESF!! :puffy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Pried my first tin of SG English Summer Flake open. Man is that ever a good flake of tobacco. Note to self....start hoarding SG ESF!! :puffy:

Man, that is on my list. Good to hear you're liking it!

Nope but I have heard that Crooner is the one most complain about having too much Dear Tongue, I don't find it that strong really, just different. I know Rich's from 4noggins uses Dear Tongue in some of his blends.

Thanks, I'm going to email them and see what blends offer the most DT.

I opened the same pouch I do every day. My leather one, filled with Carter Hall. Haha :)

I love me some Carter Hall! I'm contemplating getting a tub of the stuff... I think it's my favorite morning with coffee smoke.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Just popped a jar of Petersons 3P's and University Flake with 5 years age on it. Yes, I put both blends in the same jar, back then I didn't really know what I was doing and I didn't much care for either. First puff was very harsh but mellowed out as I smoked it down. Still, nothing amazing and once again I'm disappointed with aged tobacco.
The Stonehaven that I just recently opened tastes just like a new pouch of Stonehaven tastes, maybe just a tad bit lighter and that could be why I don't like aged blends... I like strong tobaccos and when they mellow with age it's just a big disappointment.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Never mellow!
Popping open a fresh packet of Five Brothers.
I crave this stuff when I run out. Must be some poppies in there with the Burley.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Just opened a new tin of McClellands blending perique. This one smells like I remember Skoal!!! (it's been over 25 years since I've smelled that though)

I go through about 3 tins/year adding to various aros and OTCs and I have NEVER had the aroma be so one dimensional. I'll give it a couple days and see if maybe my sniffer's just a bit off today.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
it's just a heavy handed licorice top note
The hate-hype, as you put it, is overstated. Under its other trade name, "Penzance," it sells quite well, so I have to assume the hype is just nonsense.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
Under its other trade name, "Penzance," it sells quite well, so I have to assume the hype is just nonsense.

Penzance and mixture 79 are the same thing??

I have never tried Penzance, but have always wanted to since it seems to be the blend to taste. I remember about 9 years ago buying Stonehaven and thinking, "Yeah, its pretty good, but there are many other VA or VABurs I like just as much, some more."

Status
Not open for further replies.