Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
My wife just got back from an antique store and hands me this thing! All it says on it is "The Smoke". This is the ugliest pipe I have seen yet. Any help will be much appreciated!!

project2-600x337.jpg

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
A failed attempt at synthetic pipe making I have one in my collection just because its an oddity, think brylonesque

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Thanks for the info, I do plan on re-finishing it but don't know how far I am going to go with it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have one in my collection also. When I got mine I went to Professor Taylor to get more information.
Everything you would ever want to know about "The Pipe" and "The Smoke" is here: The Pipe Info Link
To me they are an interesting footnote in pipe manufacturing and therefor somewhat collectable.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
These Pipes were made from 1963 to about 1975. They were made from the same material as the Space shuttle, pyrolytic graphite. I knew a man that would smoke nothing but one of these. The best thing about them,is they could be washed in the Dish washer.
Eric

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
Thefalcon, I think you are correct I just did the initial sanding to take off the color and it looks like to me is graphite. I will wet sand with 1500 to see if it will shine. If so I may leave it like that.

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
@dulgunz, I believe the early ones were Painted, but after heating up the Paint would fleck off. I believe after the painted ones they incorporated in the manufacturing a process of plastic coating. Hope this helps.
Eric

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
One of the Pipes Magazine radio show had a guest on that collected them. I can't remember what episode it was but it might be worth looking it up giving it a listen.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
spartanfan, I did listen to that show and felt some relief of my remorse for having purchased/won a The Pipe on the auction site.

These pipes do have nice draw and lines. That they're not 'organic' turns a lot of us off, but they can deliver a very nice smoke if you know what you're doing, and they don't impart flavor, thus giving you an unadulterated 'look' at your particular blend.

They're tough as nails and make nice travel pipes. If you need a hammer, they'll do in a pinch.

These are as versatile and practical as is your imagination.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
That they're not 'organic' turns a lot of us off, but they can deliver a very nice smoke if you know what you're doing, and they don't impart flavor, thus giving you an unadulterated 'look' at your particular blend.

newbroom, sounds like you hit on a good reason to pick one up.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
thanks for the input, newbroom. I can't listen until I get home this weekend, but plan on checking it out then. The PC I have at my disposal currently does not have speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.