PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Depends on the tobacco. Coins, plugs, and flakes can surprise with how compact they are on a weight/volume basis. Otherwise jpmcwjr has it right in my opinion.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
If it’s ribbon cut I can usually stuff at least 2 ounces in a half pint Ball jar. A pound, in that case would take 8 half pint jars. I buy them by the dozen at the local grocery store for a little over $10.00. One dozen pack of half pint Ball jars would be more than efficient. Flake, coins, plugs as mentioned previously would take substantially less containers though. I prefer the regular mouth jars if I use the pint size jars, in that case half a dozen would be more than enough for the bulkier blends. IMHO.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Tobacco Mason/Ball jar storage: jar volume by tobacco weight
My experience (rule-of-thumb): 1/4 of the jar's volume, contingent on the cut & dryness of the tobacco, & preferred degree of tobacco compression.
Jelly jar (4 oz volume) = 1.72-2 oz plugs; 1 oz tobacco
Half-pint (8 oz volume) = 2 oz tobacco
Pint (16 oz volume) = 4 oz tobacco
Quart (32 oz volume) = 8 oz tobacco

1 lb tobacco should fit in 2 one-quart jars, or 4 one-pint jars, or 8 half-pint jars (the latter favored by many to minimize disruption of aging when opening larger jars)

Wide mouth jars are easier to pack & remove tobacco.
Canning funnels make filling any size jar easier & less messy.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
I'd stuff several pint jars real tight until you have just a bit left over- then smoke that.
This. I find the tobacco ages very well in tightly packed jars.
I just opened some PS Proper English that was jarred in 2009 that is exceptional. Using the butt end of a flashlight will allow you to pack about four oz.'s of ribbon into a pint jar. I much prefer the way this ages than leaving the leaf loose.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
What Hoosier said.^ I've started packing both pints and half-pints of a given blend so as to have options later and to be able to sample how something's aging without having to pop a big jar. Once I get started with the mylar bags, it's going to be total chaos.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I think the better question is how much of that blend do you want to smoke when you open it down the road. Take that answer and buy jars that hold that amount.
I'll second that. I usually use the 4oz and 8oz jars so that I only open what I'm going to smoke, and let the rest age away.
With flakes it's a bit different since some flakes are longer than the average 8oz jar is tall. In those cases I'll buy the tall 12oz jars so that the flakes don't need to be cut or smashed.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I can get 8oz of tobacco in a wide mouth quart jar with a little room to spare. This of course wasn't mashed down at all with serious force, but had to push a little. So roughly 2 quart size jars will fit 16oz. Flake you'd probably be able to organize it parallel with the jar even more and probably fit an extra couple ounces.

Of course, these are for long term storage. You could always get a half gallon jar as well that would git the whole darn pound.

If you plan on smoking it within the next year constantly, I'd suggest putting them in pint jars, so 4oz each would be 4 pint jars.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The only jars I use are pint jars. I think the whole "you need smaller jars so you can let the rest of the tobacco continue aging" thing is overstated. I imagine there is probably some impact by doing the smaller jar thing, but I doubt the difference is all that great. I think it was GLP who said that tobacco accomplishes almost all of its aging within a few years, and that some some types (Virginias in particular) will gradually / incrementally improve for some years after. Basically, when buying bulk, I just find the small jars too fiddly. 4 ounces to a pint jar works fine for me puf

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
One of the biggest mistakes I made early on was to store 1lb bulk tobacco in large Mason jars instead of multiple smaller jars. For example, I have large 1lb jars of bulk Dunhill Nightcap and EMP from 2016 and I can't sell them because nobody wants these monsters, and I can't smoke it all myself because it's a ton of tobacco.

I now only cellar in 4 oz (rarely 8 oz) Mason Jars.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One of the biggest mistakes I made early on was to store 1lb bulk tobacco in large Mason jars instead of multiple smaller jars. For example, I have large 1lb jars of bulk Dunhill Nightcap and EMP from 2016 and I can't sell them because nobody wants these monsters, and I can't smoke it all myself because it's a ton of tobacco.

I now only cellar in 4 oz (rarely 8 oz) Mason Jars.

If you really need or want to sell the EMP or Nightcap, just re-package into 2 or 4 oz bags.... But I am betting you CAN smoke it all! :)

Reactions: oldtoby

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
If you really need or want to sell the EMP or Nightcap, just re-package into 2 or 4 oz bags.... But I am betting you CAN smoke it all!
I thought about that. But they have 3 years of age now and I don't want to ruin the ageing goodness.

I also have a few large Mason jars full of 250gr SG Flakes. I am in the process of downsizing each of these in to smaller jars over the winter.

Reactions: gervais
Status
Not open for further replies.