PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm just finishing up a tin of Odyssey, and I'm looking for opinions about what Balkan/Oriental-forward blend should follow it.
Every now and then I pull tins from the cellar and move them to a "next-to-be-smoked" stockpile. Here's what's currently in that pile that would fit the Balkan/Oriental-forward category:
McClelland's Bombay Court (1999)

Dunhill's The Aperitif (Murray's era)

Robert McConnell's Oriental (2007)

McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander (2012)

And 2012 tins of C&D's Star of the East, Star of the East Flake, and London Squire.
The only one of the above that I've already tried is the Yenidje Highlander, which I think is one of the best Balkans currently in production. All of the others would be new to me though.
I'm inclined to open the Bombay Court, just because it's got the most age on it. (At least, as far as I know. The Dunhill might be older.) It's also the only blend on this list represented by a single tin. (That is, when it's gone, I have no more aging in the cellar.) But I'd love to hear others' opinions.
Bob

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
BC is fantastic but more an Oriental than a Balkan. (Same for the Highlander).
For a true Balkan get some Gemains Balkan Sobranie Smoking Mixture, Black House, Fussiliers Ration, etc ...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
hfearly:
Thanks for the input, but I thought I'd made it clear that I'm not looking for new suggestions.
Actually, the Highlander really is a Balkan, even though it's not named such; the latakia and orientals play together beautifully. (And, FWIW, I can't stand Black House; lackluster orientals and too heavy a hand with the burley.)

Jul 15, 2011
Ive been eyeballing Bombay Court for a while now and would be interested in hearing how it ages, and as you said, being that old its got to be good, so thats what gets my vote.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
BTW, I've said this before in other threads, but if anyone is looking for a great Balkan, I really can't recommend Yenidje Highlander enough. Based on my palate, memory, and my tasting notes, it's the closest thing to 70s-era Balkan Sobranie I've ever smoked.
Bob

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
I was not thrilled with Bombay Court or Yenidje Highlander, both were OK when I tried them some years ago, but not favorites. I will say that the McConnel Oriental, while not in my opinion a Balkan, is very good. I am curious abbout how some of the McConnels would blend with a heavy latakia mixture such as SG Commonwealth.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, everyone! It looks like the Bombay Court is the popular choice!
BTW, I wasn't meaning to suggest that the blends on my list were all Balkans. Just that they were either Balkans or Oriental-forward blends, since I use the same dedicated pipes for both.
I'll let you know what I think of the Bombay once I open it and go through several bowls. Unfortunately, since the 1999 is my only tin of it, I won't be able to comment on how aging has affected it. But I'm definitely hopeful for a good smoke!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
If you are looking for a Balkan Oriental with a rich,sweet taste and rich latakia room note try Dunhill's London Mixture. This tobacco is popular and is a true Balkan Oriental blend.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
If you are looking for a Balkan Oriental with a rich,sweet taste and rich latakia room note try Dunhill's London Mixture. This tobacco is popular and is a true Balkan Oriental blend.
I like London Mixture a lot. Wouldn't classify it as a Balkan, though. To me, it's just a straight English. But I'm grateful I've still got 5 Murray-era tins in the cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.