PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

That's a beautiful Roush, Harris. I'm kind of wanting a Former as of late. Although, a Roush would be nice too. I just don't want a saddle stem and/or anything over 1.5 ounces. Really, an ounce, but I don't think I've seen many Roushs' even under 2.0 ounces? I'd settle for 1.9 if I ever find one. Former, on the other hand, can come in right around an ounce more often. I like jawing a pipe and it's a sissy.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My white whale pipe is a suede blasted Lovat from Walt Cannoy.
Other than that I'm really into Sam Adebayo's work. Looking to grab one of Nate King, Micah Redmond and Bill Shalosky's too. I'd like a Yeti Pipes, a Jared Coles, Scott Klein, J.Alan, Brad Pohlman. So many really good American carvers out there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm pretty well set. About the only couple of items I'd like to get is a cased Barling companion set in clean condition and a billiard from Ken Barnes to replace the one that I very reluctantly sold at the WCPS last November. But for now, this will have to wait.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
@CCW Bishop's Pipes at Facebook has a Barling quite similar to that for sale right now. Maybe you should check it out.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You piqued my interest, so I took a look. He has some pretty nice deals, The only Barling I saw was a model 5109, which is a nice shape, It's not the same thing as the 249. It was made after the company was taken over by Imperial tobacco, so not the same quality of wood or carvers. It also appears to have been topped, judging by the coloration of the rim.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Although I do have sufficient self discipline at the moment, I could easily share the PAD of @Carolinachurchwarden's two straight pipes mentioned above. Since these small Barlings are too rare to be found unsmoked, I would probably just buy a similar brand new Dunhill and start looking around for an unsmoked Andreas Bauer with army mount. I presume with a simple army mount, it would be easier to find or have made a good ebonite stem, also for the meerschaum. I actually already have a good spare stem for it, hmmm :)

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
peterson-killarney-red-cumberland-stem-600x335.png

Peterson Killarney w red cumberland stem

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mothernature,

That's a beautiful Roush, Harris. I'm kind of wanting a Former as of late. Although, a Roush would be nice too. I just don't want a saddle stem and/or anything over 1.5 ounces. Really, an ounce, but I don't think I've seen many Roushs' even under 2.0 ounces? I'd settle for 1.9 if I ever find one. Former, on the other hand, can come in right around an ounce more often. I like jawing a pipe and it's a sissy.
That Roush in the pic is 51 grams or 1,82 oz which I have no problem with that weight. You are correct as many of his pipes are over 2 oz's. I would never pay the freight for a new Former. His prices are insane now. I once owned 6 of his pipes and ended up selling them all.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I REALLY want a Nording Valhalla Spigot, straight billiard, smooth or otherwise. They’re just clean and mean. I know it’s not a fancy pipe, but I’ve been obsessed with them for a while.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks Sable! I'm in the hunt for old and respected English marques these days, but just can't find a nice Barling. May I ask where you look for Barlings?
@CCW That's too bad... I hope you will find one soon. Good luck!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks Sable! I'm in the hunt for old and respected English marques these days, but just can't find a nice Barling. May I ask where you look for Barlings?
Primarily eBay and pipe shows, the occasional online dealer, or through contacts in the greater pipe collecting community. There have been a few people who have contacted me privately about selling a Barling to me that I might like, and that has worked out well on both sides of the deal. I suspect you can find more at auctions or garage sales in the eastern states. Used to be tobacconists, but pipes and pipe tobaccos for sale are pretty close to extinct in Los Angeles, though the cigar scene is alive and well.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I am aware a few few well-known collectors who, like Jessie, get first pick of some of the finest pipes because of they focus on a particular brand or style of pipe. Rick Newcombe (magnums) and Fred Hanna (straight grains) come to mind, but there are a number of others. I haven’t identified an area of focus yet that quali.
My PAD, which I hope to satisfy at the Chicagoland show is a J. Alan, a JT Cooke blast, or another Brad Pohlmann.

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
Thanks a lot! Since I live far away from the States, it seems that eBay would be my sole option...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I wasn't swimming in pipes, and had a windfall in hand, I'd shop for one of the smaller (medium sized Group 4) Castellos. I think their quality is at or above White Spot with steep prices, but not over the moon. I like my various brands of Italian pipes -- Savinelli, Ser Jacopo, and the late lamented Luciano, among others. If you come across estate Luciano's, they're worth looking at. A great Danish discontinued pipe is Bari.

Status
Not open for further replies.