PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotime

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Looking for a $100.00 to 130.00 pipe. going to smoking pipe in two weeks, should I buy a estate pipe, or a new pipe. what brand of pipe would you guys recommend. also stopping at J.W.Boswell following week.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
My first pipe around that price was a Savinelli. They look nice and smoke well. Maybe take a look at what they have to offer? But Cosmic is right; have fun browsing several brands and pick the one you like the best. That's the fun part.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
In that price range it is really hard to beat Savinelli. The choices are almost endless. I have 6.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I have both Savinelli and Boswells - you buy a lot of pipe from either of those vendors and stay in your budget.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've never smoked a Savinelli, which will be some people's top recommendation, but Stanwell offers amazing quality in that price range (or lower). Just a few days ago, I bought a new Stanwell Canadian for about $60 from Pipes and Cigars and swore to myself that the next time a new smoker asked "What pipe should I buy?," I would say go with Stanwell.
So there. You should buy a Stanwell. And for fashion advice, Cosmic ^ is definitely your guy. :mrgreen:

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Stanwell are by far my favorites--I have two Savs; on one the stem whistles a bit and the other gurgles, but my three Stanwells are great smokers. But I also really like the Savenlli styles and will probably buy another one, dammit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wait for Boswells, so you can get face-to-face advice. If it is possible to go there at an off-time, as determined by phoning them, so they could spend some time with you, they would give you a lot of information when you see them in person. They could show you Savinelli pipes too, but I think you want to buy a Boswell from them. It's a great way to start smoking a pipe, and it is an experience you will probably remember. Maybe also discuss tobacco blends and take their recommendation on small quantities. You are just sampling for the next two/few years so don't buy anything in quantity, no matter how great it seems at the moment. Your tastes will change, develop.

Dec 3, 2015
I would pick up a Rossi around the $80-$100 rang and either a Mr brog or a MM corn cob maybe both with the rest of your money. That way you have pipes to rotate and you can use the cheaper ones to perfect you technique.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I can't let the other fine gentlemen here recommend their favorite brands without mentioning Peterson. They are exactly in your price range, and are many and varied in most styles. Suggestion: go to the brands suggested here then to Smoking Pipes.com and look at these brands there. You will almost certainly find the right pipe.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Savinelli and Stanwell are both great choices, but my best pipes in that range are my two maestro Beraldi hand carved pipes I picked up at a Tinder Box for $130.00 each. Beautiful, well designed, and the best smokers I have! That's including my Castello, vintage Comoy's, and Charatan! Happy puffing!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Forget buying new, the choices of great classic pipes that are amazing smokers are available to you in your price range. I would much rather own a pristine estate pipe from one of the best Italian factories over any new Peterson, Stanwell or any other lower end new pipe.
For example, here are a couple of old Caminetto's from the Ascorti/Radice era. These pipes smoke as good as any Castello or other high line Italian pipe. Sure they are fugly but a better smoker you will not find. I have owned few of these in my days and everyone was a brilliant smoking pipe.

http://briarblues.com/ak78.htm

http://briarblues.com/jio53.htm
Other choices for a great smoker in your price range maybe plus an extra 30.00.

http://briarblues.com/rb08.htm

http://briarblues.com/erm12.htm

http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee3731.html

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
for that amount there's no need to stoop to a used pipe
True but it will be a $100-130 pipe, not a $200-260 pipe selling for half fare. That's not to say $100-130 new pipes aren't just as good quality and good smokers...some are even better. To each his own, I'd rather put $25K in a 5 yr old Mercedes that cost $75K new than the same $25K in a new Toyota.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
I would suggest a Savinelli, or a Rossi (also made by Savinelli)... You can't go wrong in my experience! :)

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Lots of good suggestions here, but I second or third or how ever many the Boswell's suggestion. I own several Boswell's pipes and find myself reaching for one of them more often than anything else in my selection of about 50 pipes.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Nice phrasing, billkay, i.e., "cancelling in the aggregate." I've not heard that phrase before. Yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.