What Pipe Have You Discovered This Year?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
Finally was able to acquire a beautiful poker from Mr. Tom Eltang. After years and years of drooling over his pipes online I finally pulled the trigger! Hopefully Ill be able to grab one next year.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Three of my nicer pick-ups this year are Rinaldo, IL Ceppo and Fiamma di Re.

left.jpg

il-ceppo-left-w580-h233.jpg

fr_1c_03_3-600x332.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The Curvy generously given to me by Snowy Owl is a fantastic pipe. Also, I recently discovered Bertram pipes in the form of a large billiard which is a fantastic smoke as well. Many others were given to me or were had for cheap from ebay and restored. The Weber Extra Virgin was a bargain ($14 or so) and a consistently good smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Though being a collector of his pipes for sometime now, I discovered this year from a pipe that Bruce Weaver gifted me, that he can make an excellent small pipe as well as the large ones that I commissioned from him.
687_9805dublin1.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Smoking it right now. Still trying to figure out how he shaped that hippo tooth accent. :mrgreen:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
For me it's been watching Chris Besse and Zak and Epsilon2, or Ken Barnes (heh,heh) develop as artists, and Banjo and anyone who has 'scored' a nice new or old pipe and shared it here on the forums.

I did acquire a couple of Italian made pipes for a steal on ebay that are right up there as the year's trophies.

One a Sav 616, and the other a Tinderbox Ascorti LaSilvana in decent smoking shape for less than $20. each.

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
Ashton and Northern Briars. Beatiful pipes and great smokers, got them for like $30 on the bay also. Petes, Custom-Bilts,and Dunhills are still on top of my regular rotation. Losing favor are the Ser Jacopos, BP Jums, Custom-Bilt bullmooses and Kaywoodies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I've read the Curvies were made by Gubbels. Makers of Hilson, and Big Ben. Should be great smokers.
I read that and think you are correct. I've already held it, but the wife took it away for Christmas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Austrian Kemberling, a gift, smooth bent Rhodesian. I'd not heard of it before.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I purchased 4 pipes this year. I commissioned a billiard with Michael Parks, picked it up at the Chicago show, and also purchased a Kyriazanos lovat while at the show. I then purchased a Kyriazanos straight grain billiard in September off a website, and shortly thereafter commissioned a sandblasted billiard with Michail as well. It's been a billiard year for sure. No new discoveries, just a recollection of the pipes I acquired.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I discovered a Millville Unique that I got from Pipestud. Shaped somewhat like a Charatan, which made sense as I learned about the history of these pipes. Former Charatan workers father and son, ended up selling only at a street booth in London. It's a rather large square shank billiard and smokes great.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Last time, a couple years back, I went looking for John I found the stand closed. There is some debate as to whether he'd closed it up for good though. Neighboring vendors couldn't agree. Great pipes, great guy!

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I've been pipe smoking with regularity since 1994. Before that I was an intermittent puffer. Since 1994 I have gone through a few phases with pipe brands, shapes / bowl-sizes and even finishes. During 2017 I have rediscovered my love of the dublin shape. That's as specific as I can get.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Though being a collector of his pipes for sometime now, I discovered this year from a pipe that Bruce Weaver gifted me, that he can make an excellent small pipe as well as the large ones that I commissioned from him.

Not many pipes speak to me but when I look at a Weaver pipe, it just screams at me, "BUY ME, BUY ME". They are just gorgeous pieces. I want to own one someday... but I keep spending all my money on my cellar. I may have to sell a few pipes off to obtain one of his. How many do you own now, Duane?
That Dublin you posted above, keeps screaming at me. I have to leave this page now or I'll make a decision my wife will surely not be happy with.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I never set foot in a pipe shop this year. Never saw a display. I believe I treated myself badly in that respect. Perhaps my New Year's resolution should be to get on a plane and hit Iwan Ries or Peterson ... maybe James Fox ... Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.